Due to the announcement of the incumbent’s planned retirement, the Corporation of the Town of Perth is seeking resumes for a Municipal Clerk.
Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer, the Town Clerk is a key member of the Town’s Management Team and is responsible for fulfilling the statutory requirements of Clerk in accordance with the Municipal Act.
The successful candidate will possess a university degree (4 years) or equivalent (minimum level of education required for position), a minimum of 8 years of management level experience, a Certified Municipal Officer (CMO) designation from AMCTO, as well as other experience and qualifications as detailed in the job description.
This position is placed on the “G” Panel (current hourly rate of $37.03 to $54.41) and is a forty (40) hour per week position. A comprehensive benefits package (medical, dental, etc.) complete with the OMERS pension plan is included with this position. A complete job description is available upon request.
Applicants are invited to submit covering letters and resumes no later than Friday, March 6, 2020 to the attention of Lauren Walton, Clerk, via e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Should you not receive confirmation of receipt by email, please contact the Clerk at 613-267-3311.
The Corporation of the Town of Perth is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. In accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act 2001, and will be used only for the purpose of candidate selection. The Town of Perth will provide accommodation for individuals with accessibility needs.
Position: Town Clerk
Status: Full-Time Non-Union Position
Reports to: Chief Administrative Officer
Pay Band: Panel G
Hours of Work: 40 hours per week
Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer, the Town Clerk is a key member of the Town’s Management Team and is responsible for the fulfilling the statutory requirements of Clerk in accordance with the Municipal Act.
In addition, the Clerk is responsible for the Information Technology Contract.
Perform the responsibilities of the position within the legislative and regulatory standards as set out in all applicable provincial and municipal regulations, policies, and by-laws.
- Performs prescribed duties as legislated in a confidential manner on issues related to organization and operation of the municipality.
- Is responsible for the proper interpretation and administration of the legislative requirements of the Municipal Act.
- Serves as the Chief Election Official as per the Municipal Elections Act and is solely responsible for the development of policy and procedure of the municipal election.
- Serves as the “Head” for the purposes of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
- Serves as the Records Manager responsible for the development of the records management system and maintenance of records for the Town.
- Responsible for the Executive Assistant to the Clerk, providing leadership, development and conducting annual performance appraisal.
- Is responsible for establishing and maintaining the reporting process of all information to Council and the preparation of all minutes, agendas and correspondence for Council and Committee of the Whole meetings.
- Coordinates staff efforts to ensure that correspondence, motions and reports are reviewed by Council in a timely fashion.
- Works with the CAO to monitor the Municipal Act and related regulations and ensure municipal compliance.
- Advises Council on policy and procedure.
- Works closely with Town Directors to ensure proper procedure and process is followed.
- Works closely with the Mayor to coordinate and prepare their correspondence, meetings, mail and schedule.
- Prepares applicable correspondence related to decisions of Council.
- Reviews existing and proposed municipal by-laws for compliance with the Municipal Act and applicable legislation.
- Prepares reports and by-laws associated with the Clerk’s responsibilities.
- Assists Town Directors with the preparation of by-laws related to their spheres of operation.
- Develops the budget and policies associated with the Clerk’s responsibilities.
- Ensures adequate audio visual equipment is in place and functioning to support the needs of Council, staff and delegations.
- Is responsible for the management of the Information Technology Contract and associated technology requirements of the Town.
- In the absence of the CAO, the Clerk acts in his/her capacity.
- Performs such other duties as directed by the CAO.
The above generally describes the responsibilities involved with the position however is not intended to be an exhaustive list.
- A university degree (4 years) or equivalent (minimum level of education required for position).
- A minimum of 8 years of management level experience.
- Ability to interpret appropriate provincial legislation
- Knowledge of Robert’s Rules of Order and related procedural matters
- Excellent oral, written, presentation, interpersonal communication, organizational, analytical and strategic skills
- Obtainment of Certified Municipal Officer (CMO) designation from AMCTO.
- Complete computer literacy
- Must possess a valid Driver’s License and be bondable
- Familiarity with audio visual equipment
- Project management experience
Internal Direct authority over the Executive Assistant to the Clerk Members of Council, the CAO and Town Directors, Support staff Direct authority in regard to the Information Technology Contractor. External Liaise regularly with other municipalities, provincial ministries/agencies, consultants, media and the public
- Offered SalaryTBD
- Career LevelExecutive
- Experience8 Years +
- SECTORMunicipal Government
- QualificationBachelor Degree
- Application Closing Time06.03.2020 21:46