In Whitby, we are dedicated to our work, our community, and each other. We work hard, we have fun, and we celebrate our successes.
The Town of Whitby is a community in transformation that is located in the heart of Durham Region in the eastern Greater Toronto Area. Whitby is the second-largest municipality in the region and one of the fastest-growing communities in Canada. Located on Lake Ontario and only an hour east of Toronto, the population of Whitby is expected to grow from 140,000 to more than 200,000 by 2031. Whitby’s Official Plan has been updated to establish new directions for Whitby’s planned growth and development; the protection of our natural and built environments; urban design intensification; sustainability; community improvement; and, new employment within this time frame.
The Town of Whitby combines a small town atmosphere with the sophistication and amenities of a larger urban centre. Whitby boasts two beautiful heritage downtowns, one of the finest recreational harbours with an award-winning marina, year round sports and recreation activities, parks, trails, and a robust arts and culture scene, all of which are part of the extraordinary amenities that Whitby residents enjoy every day.
Whitby has an exciting and aspiring future, with a community that is welcoming, growing and transforming. On our team, you can expect to make a difference through your work and have a direct impact on shaping our growing community. Creating an inclusive environment where employees experience job satisfaction and have rewarding careers is important to us. We live our values and foster a culture of collaboration, accountability, respect and engagement where people enjoy coming to work.
We want to be the preferred employer for the most talented people who care about the Town of Whitby, and are excited and proud to serve our vibrant community.
Let’s grow together.
What You Will Get To Do
The successful candidate will have a positive impact on our corporate culture by demonstrating the Town’s CARE core values (Collaborative, Accountable, Respectful, Engaged) through daily interactions with individuals at all levels of the organization, external contacts and elected officials.
By effectively building positive rapport and relationships both internally and externally, the successful candidate will help us achieve our mission that together we deliver services that make a difference in our community.
Reporting to the Manager of Enforcement Services, the Supervisor of By-law and Animal Services is responsible for the effective and efficient day to day operation, administration and supervision of the By-law and Animal Services Divisions, the Whitby Animal Services Centre, and Business Licensing.
Who You Are
Duties for this role include, but are not limited to:
- Interpreting and communicating by-laws and Provincial legislation.
- Providing direction and advice to outside agencies, employees, and the public regarding enforcement, inspection procedures, and the application of by-laws.
- Ensuring a reasonable prospect of conviction when by-law charges are commenced, and to represent the Town in court competently.
- Monitoring and reviewing fleet requirements, including the need for repairs of by-law and animal services vehicles.
- Providing support to the Town’s Property Standards Appeal Committee and Animal Services Committee.
- Supervising a team of staff, including: training, scheduling, coaching, evaluating and disciplining full and part time staff in two locations (as well as on-the-road staff) in a unionized environment, including organizing shift work and 7-day schedules to ensure appropriate coverage for enforcement and shelter services, on both a short term and long term basis.
- Providing support to By-law and Animal Services Officers outside of standard business hours.
- Must be able to read, interpret, and follow financial budget information for the division on a regular basis.
What You Bring To Our Team
- Minimum two (2) year community college diploma in Police Foundations, Protection, Security and Investigations, or equivalent program.
- Certified MLEO Designation – from the Municipal Law Enforcement Officers Association of Ontario.
- Certified Property Standards Designation – from the Ontario Association of Property Standards Officers.
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience in enforcement and regulatory work related to municipal by-laws, or considerable related supervisory experience;
- Must be fully aware of the provisions of applicable provincial legislation, including, but not limited to: Building Code Act, 1992; Municipal Act, 2001; Dog Owners’ Liability Act; and Pounds Act.
- Basic understanding of animal health and maintenance requirements, as well as the ability to explain animal health related issues to a veterinarian and understand veterinarian instructions in order to protect animal health.
- Proven fiscal management and analytical skills with the ability to manage annual operational budget.
- Progressive staff management and highly developed interpersonal skills applied in training, evaluating, coaching and team building in a unionized environment.
What We Offer You
- Salary: $87,193 – $102,582 per annum (Band F) (Under review)
- Benefits and retirement plan offered in accordance to Corporate programs and/or the applicable Collective Agreement
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
At the Town of Whitby, our values guide everything that we do. We celebrate our differences, which is why we are committed to building an inclusive and barrier-free environment for our team. If you need a specific accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know, and we will be happy to provide. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
Acknowledgement will only be forwarded to those applicants who are invited for an interview.
Personal information provided is collected under the authority of The Municipal Act, 2001 and the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
Posting Date: Friday, February 28, 2020
Hours: Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. plus additional hours as required.
Application Deadline: Sunday, March 15, 2020
Application Instructions: To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please apply through the Town of Whitby website; Current Opportunities.
Please quote reference number: 20-M005-360.
- Offered Salary$80,000+
- Career LevelSenior Management
- Experience5 Years +
- SECTORMunicipal Government
- Application Closing Time15.03.2020 21:21