City of Kitchener – Supervisor, Customer Service and Collections
The Supervisor, Customer Service and Collections is an exciting opportunity for a candidate with a passion for providing an enhanced customer experience to our external and internal stakeholders. This position reports directly to the Manager of Utility Billing and Customer Service and will be an experienced people leader responsible for developing, mentoring and providing support to a large team striving to deliver exceptional customer service.
The successful candidate will help promote the vision of the Revenue Division while building a positive team culture, which reflects the organization’s core values of trust/respect, collaboration, and change/grow.
- Supervises the customer service team, who looks after all inquiries related to utility, property tax and miscellaneous billing. This includes phone/front counter/email inquiries and payment processing.
- Responsible for the scheduling of staff time while managing the diverse functions of customer service.
- Responsible for handling escalated calls from customers/council, including problem solving and advising of solutions based on current policy.
- Determining staff training requirements in customer service, cash handling and telephone software.
- Providing support for the billing system, including recommendations for changes within the system and working together with all stakeholders to facilitate and prioritize these changes.
- Managing the development and documentation of Standard operating procedures.
- Analyze customer service statistics recommending change within the team.
- Supervises the collections team who are responsible for the collections of delinquent property tax, utility and miscellaneous receivable accounts.
- Provide guidance to staff regarding collections processes and policies.
- Ensures a customer service approach is taken in support of other City divisions.
- Supervises the work of a team of 13 with primary responsibility for their hiring, training, directing, and performance management.
- Sets priorities, develops work plans, motivates, and works with staff to ensure the divisional goals and objectives established by the divisional leadership team are met.
- Recommends and leads projects within the divisional goals that promotes continuous improvement and creates a LEAN working environment.
- Responsible for ensuring all new owner information is accurate within the billing system.
- Responsible for the supervision of the property tax/utility certificate process.
- Liaise with vendors and ensure timely payment of invoices.
- Develops and implements plans, recommends, and updates revenue policies.
- Responds to emerging issues and assesses the impact on operations and develops, recommends, and implements innovative solutions.
- Deals with difficult customers; diffuses escalated situations; and resolves customer issues in a diplomatic, professional, and empathetic manner.
- Initiate manage and/or participate/champion major projects.
- Provides backup for the management team in absence of that incumbents.
Education and Experience
- 3-year degree or diploma in a related field.
- 2-4 years of related experience including customer service leadership.
- Must have superior communication skills, with a proven ability to work with staff and internal/external customers.
- Demonstrated coping skills to effectively deal with stressful situations.
- Experience in computerized billing/payment systems, specifically enterprise resource planning systems, such as SAP.
- Experience in project management and data analysis which has been used to lead change.
- Must have experience dealing with confidential information and the ability to exercise discretion and good judgement.
- Further preference will be given to candidates who have a sound credit and cash management experience.
- Demonstrates strong leadership and inter-personal skills in order to direct, develop, motivate and support staff in achieving short- and long-term goals and objectives
- Is reliable with a good attitude and employment record
- Experience in a municipal or not-for-profit setting is considered an asset
In accordance with the City of Kitchener’s Mandatory Verification of COVID-19 Vaccination Policy, new City of Kitchener employees (or employees rehired after a break in service of more than 3 months) are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire, subject to accommodations required in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion, and thank all applicants in advance.
Accommodations are available during all stages of the recruitment process in accordance with the Human Rights Code.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted
Please note that as per Human Resources Policy HUM-HIR-110, “Employment of Relatives of Staff Members and Elected Officials”:
“The immediate relatives of staff of the Human Resources Division, all Directors, General Managers, or the Chief Administrative Officer and Elected Officials shall not be employed by the City in any capacity.
The immediate relatives of all other Management personnel shall not be employed where such employment would be:
1. within the same Department in the case of permanent full-time, temporary full-time and part-time classifications.
2. within the same Division in the case of students.”
- Offered Salary$70,000+
- Career LevelSenior Management
- Experience2 Years +
- SECTORMunicipal Government
- QualificationAssociate Degree
- Application Closing Time20.10.2021 16:30