Reporting to the Director of Financial Services/Treasurer, you will oversee the accounting system, produce reports for both internal and external users, complete analysis of data in the system, provide assistance to department managers and supervisors, and carry out required duties from the yearly departmental budgets to the year-end process. In the absence of the Director of Finance/Treasurer, the Senior Accountant will be responsible for statutory duties.
Some of the major responsibilities include:
- Assisting the Director of Financial Services/Treasurer to perform the statutory duties of the Municipal Treasurer under the Municipal Act and other Acts of Legislature as required. Assume the duties of the Treasurer in the absence of Director of Finance.
- Prepares year end working papers, financial reports, the Financial Information Return (FIR), and the annual audit.
- Monitors the Corporation’s accounting operations in accordance with approved policies and procedures, recommending amendments when necessary, and implementing approved changes.
- Ensures accurate recording of assets and liabilities, accounting and financial transactions in accordance with accounting principles.
- Reviews banking records, cash deposits, accounts payable & cash disbursement and tax registers, ensuring that appropriate controls are being maintained in the deposit of cash, the control of short and long term investments, the production of cheques and tax bills.
- Liaising with staff of other departments in understanding financial and accounting information and assisting with accounting practices/procedures in their areas of responsibility.
Ideally you would have the following qualifications:
- Minimum 3 years of working knowledge in the Accounting field is required.
- An understanding of effective and efficient accounting processes, automation, and root cause analysis.
- Knowledge of municipal legislation and Public Sector Accounting Board (PSAB) standards affecting financial reporting is an asset.
- Excellent spreadsheet skills to enable both the creation of reports and the ability to read reports.
- Excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills.
The Salary range for this position is $38.26/hr to $44.75/hr
If you feel that these qualifications combined with a desire to work with a great team of professionals is a
fit for you, please go to https://careers.centralelregin.org/job/search
Applications must be received not later than: 4:30 pm Friday February 14, 2020.
The Municipality of Central Elgin is an equal opportunity employer. The Municipality of Central Elgin will attempt to provide reasonable accommodation for known disability for an applicant or employee if requested
Personal information is collected pursuant to the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and will be used only to evaluate the suitability of applicants for employment. Questions respecting the collection of information should be directed to the CAO/Clerk of The Corporation of the Municipality of Central Elgin.
- Offered SalaryN/A
- Career LevelOthers
- ExperienceLess than 2 years
- SECTORMunicipal Government
- QualificationBachelor Degree
- Application Closing Time14.02.2020 16:39