The City of Quinte West invites applications for the following full-time position:
Plans Examiner/Building Inspector
Planning and Development Services
Reporting to the Chief Building Official, the Plans Examiner/Building Inspector is responsible to receive and review building permit applications to ensure the completion of applications including, required plans, Applicable Law and other approvals. Examining and recommending for approval or rejection applications for building permits based on plans and specifications submitted in compliance with the Ontario Building Code Act, the Ontario Building Code and referenced standards. Conduct site inspections for approval or rejection of compliance with the Ontario Building Code Act, the Ontario Building Code and referenced standards on an assigned project basis. The Plans Examiner/Building Inspector is also responsible for the enforcement of the Property Standards, Cross Connection and Back Flow Prevention, and Sign By-law.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The position will:
- Be responsible for receiving and reviewing for completeness of the submission applications for building, plumbing, demolition, on-site septic, sign and plumbing permits.
- Conduct plans review for building and plumbing permits, on-site septic and signs, and recommending for approval, ensuring that plans and documents submitted conform to the Ontario Building Code Act, Applicable Law and City By-laws.
- Participate as required regarding consultation with architects, engineers and property owner’s and contractors regarding proposed development in the municipality.
- Conduct field inspections, as assigned, to ensure that all permits comply with the Ontario Building Code, the Ontario Building Code Act and City By-laws.
- Prepare detailed inspection reports on each project.
- Assist the Chief Building Official with the preparation and submission of reports to the Federal, Provincial and Municipal Governments on permit and By-law activity to enable all levels of government to monitor development activity.
- Assist the Chief Building Official with the preparation and submission of reports to the Planning and other City departments on the suitability of proposed building site to support development, including on-site septic systems.
- Assist with maintaining records and files relative to the Building, Plumbing, On-site Septic and Cross Connection and Back Flow Prevention and Property Standards functions.
- Maintain continuous visual checks for unauthorized work, illegal infractions against By-laws and contravention to regulations and report on the same.
- Prepare correspondence and carry out inspections, as assigned, for dealing with infractions against Ontario Building Code and Ontario Building Code Act, the Property Standards By-law, Sign By-law, Cross Connection and Back Flow Prevention By-law and take corrective action in accordance with the Code and By-laws as required.
- Assist with the preparation of evidence for court cases and act as a witness as required, particularly, act as a key witness on behalf of the City in court cases involving interpretation of Ontario Building Code and Ontario Building Code Act, Property Standards By-law, Sign By-law, Cross Connection and Back Flow Prevention By-law.
- Conduct field inspections as assigned to ensure compliance with site plan and subdivision agreements.
Note: Above duties are representative of a typical position and are not to be construed as all-inclusive.
The position will have direct contact with:
Internal: Chief Building Official, Director of Planning and Development, Senior Building Inspector, Building Inspectors, and other City Staff.
External: General Public, Provincial and Federal government staff and Agencies, Developers, Contractors, Property Owners, Engineers and Architects.
The position will require:
- Three (3) year college Diploma in Architecture, Engineering Technology, Building Sciences, or a related field.
- Certified Building Code Official designation.
- Certification and registration in the following Provincial categories of Qualifications:
- a) House
- b) Small Buildings
- c) HVAC – House
- d) Plumbing – House
- e) Plumbing – All Buildings
- f) On-Site Septic
- g) Legal – General
- Thorough knowledge of the Ontario Building Code Act, the Ontario Building Code and referenced standards, Provincial Offences Act and related legislation.
- Qualification maintenance as required by Ontario Building Code Act and the Ontario Building Code.
- Training in Ontario Municipal Law Enforcement and Ontario Property Standards.
- Ability to conduct investigative inquires under potentially sensitive situations.
- Effective communication skills, both verbal and written, and strong personal organizational capabilities.
- Thorough knowledge of construction materials and techniques.
- Valid Ontario Driver’s Licence with a clean driver’s abstract.
A minimum of three (3) years related experience is required.
Decisions pertain to recommending approval or rejection of building, plumbing, sign, on-site septic and/or demolition permits to the Chief Building Official and/or the Senior Building Inspector. On site approval or rejection of construction based on the Ontario Building Code Act and the Ontario Building Code and referenced standards, with complex or questionable situations referred to the Chief Building Official. Final legal decisions regarding legal action are made in consultation with the Chief Building Official.
- Not applicable.
- Work in an office environment.
- Occasional outside work is required.
2021 C.U.P.E. Salary Grid Band 8 – $32.33/hr – $33.66/hr
We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and is used to determine eligibility for potential employment.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, the City of Quinte West is pleased to accommodate individual needs of applicants with disabilities within the recruitment process. Please call 613-392-2841 x1106 or email email@example.com if you require an accommodation to ensure your participation in the recruitment and selection process.
- Offered SalaryN/A
- Career LevelSpecialist
- Experience3 Years +
- SECTORMunicipal Government
- Application Closing Time23.07.2021 23:59