St. Thomas is a community growing in size and strength and is home to about 40,000 people. In St. Thomas, you get 25% more life: more house for your money, more sports and arts for your children, and more recreation for you and your family. Our costs of living are lower, meaning your quality of life is higher, allowing you to embrace all of the opportunities that the city presents. Conveniently located close to Port Stanley, London, and Highway 401, it’s the perfect location in Southwestern Ontario. With a rich heritage but a modern atmosphere, there is nowhere better to thrive than St. Thomas. We look forward to welcoming you and showing you why we are #stthomasproud.
This non-union position, reporting to the Director of Finance and City Treasurer, is responsible for the Finance Section of the Treasury Department including asset management, budgeting, insurance, purchasing, and tax collection. This position provides technical direction and guidance to departmental and municipal staff.
- Responsible for the development of the annual current and capital budgets for the Corporation, including the development of budget information and instructions to departments and boards, analysis of budget requests, and compilation of Draft Budgets for the Treasurers review.
- Under the guidance of the Director of Finance and City Treasurer, for all personnel holding authorized positions under the incumbent’s direct supervision, subject to the Human Resource Policies of the City:
- Selects and hires employees.
- Appraises the performance and conduct of employees.
- Promotes, demotes, disciplines and terminates employees.
- Schedules and/or grants sick and annual leave.
- Encourages and assists in maintaining a high standard of morale.
- Ensures operations and practices are consistent with the terms of any Collective Agreement and/or By-Law and that the administration of such Agreement and/or By-Law is carried out.
- Provides technical direction and guidance to departmental and municipal staff regarding financial budget policies, practises, procedures and other related matters of the Corporation.
- Oversees the preparation of annual, quarterly or monthly statistical and financial reports for various Ministries, in accordance with Ministry Guidelines.
- Responsible for the monitoring of the annual current and capital budgets for the Corporation, including the preparation of semi-annual operating and capital budget update reports to Council.
- Performs accounting duties for Social Services and Valleyview Home including budgets, service contracts, day to day entries and year end reconciliation, as required.
- Ensures the billing and reconciliation of costs for joint services under the City of St. Thomas-County of Elgin Consolidated Service Plan Agreement.
- Manages the City Purchase Card process, including the issuance and withdrawal of purchase cards, establishment of card limits, and monitoring the card usage, as prescribed by the approved Council Policy.
- Liaises and cooperates with the City Auditors in the execution of their independent audit(s).
- Receives, audits and authorizes for payment, invoices of a corporate nature as per authority assigned in the City Purchasing By-Law.
- Participates in the development of long term financial plans for the Corporation including the coordination and management of the financial planning for the replacement of tangible capital assets and the analysis of future funding plans involving current budget revenue and expenditure projections.
- Attends City Council meetings to submit authored reports, provide advice at budget deliberations and other times when directed by City Treasurer.
- Coordinates the submission of grant applications to senior levels of government including, the review of eligibility requirements, formulation of projects for approval by Council, preparation of applications and filing of required performance reports.
- Participates in the development and implementation of financial procedures and policies for the department.
- Performs such other related duties as may be assigned.
- This position is required to act on behalf of the Corporation and shall ensure compliance with the duties of employers as described in the Occupational Health and Safety Act and its Regulations and is responsible for the health and safety of City employees and must ensure at all times that:
- Workers work in a manner and with the protective devices, measures and procedures required by the Occupational Health and Safety Act, , the regulations, and City policies.
- Employees use or wear the equipment, protective devices or clothing that the City requires to be used or worn
- Advise a worker of the existence of and potential or actual dancer to the health or safety of the worker of which the supervisor is aware.
- Where so prescribed, provide a worker with written instructions as to the measures and procedures to be taken for the protection of the worker.
- Take every precaution reasonable in the circumstances for the protection of the worker.
QUALIFICATIONS: A Bachelor Degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Commerce or related field together with a professional accounting designation (C.P.A.) or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience. Must possess effective verbal and written communication, interpersonal skills, and the ability to exercise good judgement. Experience working in a computerized environment including knowledge of word processing, spreadsheets, data base systems, file management, inter and intranets and electronic mail is required.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: May be required to work beyond the normal hours of work.
Remuneration: $44.39 – $55.46 per hour working a 35 hour work week ($80,790 – $100,937 per annum) plus a comprehensive benefit package.
How to Apply:
Go to www.stthomas.ca – Employment, Employment Opportunities.
Go to Posting Title: Manager of FinanceClick the ‘Apply Now’ button. You will need to create a Login.
** You can ONLY upload one document. Please upload your cover letter and resume as one document (i.e. pdf, word).Note: You will be required to answer Qualification questions during the application process.
Applications must be received no later than Friday February 14, 2020.
Although we appreciate all applications received, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Personal information for this position is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, R.S.O. 2001, as amended.
Accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
- Offered SalaryN/A
- Career LevelManagement
- ExperienceLess than 2 years
- SECTORMunicipal Government
- QualificationBachelor Degree
- Application Closing Time14.02.2020 10:41