Manager of Economic Development
The United Counties of Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry (SDG) is located along the St. Lawrence River in the south-eastern corner of Ontario. SDG is “Where Ontario Began”, and is rich in heritage, tradition, and culture with an abundance of historical sites, great events, and beautiful attractions. With a population of 65,000, SDG is primarily rural yet close to urban centres such as Cornwall, Ottawa, and Brockville.
The County is presently accepting applications for the full-time position of Manager of Economic Development. This position reports to and receives direction from the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) and is responsible for developing, managing, and implementing the approved economic development programs and initiatives of the United Counties of Stormont, Dundas, and Glengarry.
Main duties include but are not limited to:
- Supervise and effectively manage the Tourism Coordinator, Communications Coordinator, and Administrative Assistant assigned to the Economic Development division of the Corporate Services Department.
- Manage and oversee the County Regional Incentives Program.
- Promote and encourage industrial, commercial, residential and agricultural development that increase assessment, employment, and social opportunities.
- Recommend, develop and implement program alternatives to market SDG for economic growth. Implement approved corporate marketing strategies and liaise with various external agencies/organizations on projects with common focus.
- Develop strong relationships with local municipalities within SDG and collaborate and assist when possible for the mutual benefit of local businesses and residents.
- Coordinate regional economic development themes, provide assistance in planning, promoting, researching and monitoring.
- Identify and analyze the needs of different sectors and pursue possible funding opportunities that promote and enhance the capacity of SDG to provide economic development services.
- Develop, organize, and maintain SDG’s economic related statistics, databases, and prepare related reports when necessary and ensure that data for available properties is accurate and current for potential investment opportunities.
- Develop the annual budgets of the economic development and tourism divisions. Responsible for monitoring, controlling and reporting budget variations.
- Respond to and direct development inquiries and coordinate with local municipalities, including the development and implementation of an appropriate lead protocol.
- Appropriately represent the County at various public events/meetings, including speaking/presenting as required. Attend relevant conferences/seminars.
- Follow all Health & Safety policies and procedures and report any non-compliance or any possible safety risks.
- Other duties as assigned from time to time by the CAO.
- Post-secondary education in business administration, commerce, economic development, marketing or communications, or related discipline.
- EcD designation is an asset.
- 3 to 5 years’ experience in economic development in the municipal or broader public sector is an asset.
- In-depth knowledge of economic development strategies, theories and programs, as well as excellent communication skills, advisory and customer service skills, knowledge of social media, and analytical and report writing skills.
- A valid Ontario Class ‘G’ driver’s license is required for this position.
2019 Salary Range: $79,011 to $90,299 with full benefit package and pension
Location: County Administration – 26 Pitt Street, Cornwall, Ontario.
Interested and qualified candidates are invited to visit our website at www.sdgcounties.ca to obtain the complete instruction package on how to apply.
Applications will be received by e-mail until 12:00 noon on Monday, December 16, 2019. Please note that applicants selected for an interview will be contacted in early January 2020.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Personal information received in this application will be used solely for employee selection purposes and will be handled in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. We will accommodate the needs of applicants under the Human Rights Code during the hiring process.
- Offered SalaryN/A
- Career LevelManagement
- ExperienceLess than 2 years
- SECTORMunicipal Government
- Application Closing Time16.12.2019 12:00