Located amidst the 30,000 islands of Georgian Bay and a 2.5-hour drive north of Toronto, the Town of Parry Sound offers an exceptional quality of life. Join our team in the Manager of Accounting position, an essential member of the Finance Department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Director of Finance and POA/Treasurer, the Manager of Accounting is responsible for assisting with the management and implementation of all financial, budgeting, and accounting functions for the municipality.
- Fulfills the statutory role of Treasurer in the absence of the Director of Finance.
- Develops, recommends, implements and monitors policies, procedures and standards to ensure compliance with all related regulations, legislation and accounting principles and best practices in all areas assigned.
- Participates in a variety of internal and external meetings to communicate information and resolve problems.
- Provides input to long-term and short-term planning exercises.
- Ensures the review of new or amended legislation that may apply to the municipality in the area of responsibility, identifies possible impact and recommendations.
- Prepares, analyzes and reviews a variety of complex reports for Council, Provincial and Federal governments, boards, etc.
- Ensures the development and maintenance of all required record keeping, maintenance of up to date financial data systems for all areas of responsibility.
- Assists with the completion of Request for Proposals (RFP) for banking and insurance services as well as departmental purchases as required.
- Manages (hires, orients, trains, evaluates performance, disciplines and recommends terminations) Accounting Clerk and Administrative Assistant, and Payroll and Internal Customer Care Clerk.
- Provides oversight of the asset management planning process.
- Assists the Director of Finance in managing the overall general accounting, as well as the general ledger, the timely and accurate completion of the Financial Information Return and Performance Measures (MPMP), preparation of the monthly operating statements, and the preparation of annual budgets.
- Responsible for management of the purchasing and accounts payable systems, including compliance and enhancements to current controls and policies, as well as year-end accrued liabilities.
- Identifies, researches, recommends subsidies and grants that may be available to the municipality.
- Responsible for management of the payroll and employee benefits systems, including compliance with Employment Standards Act, Collective Agreement, OMERS and other regulatory legislation.
- Coordinates the preparation of all data for federal and provincial grants and subsidy applications, ensures timely report preparation, filing and follow-up to ensure funds are received in a timely and accurate fashion (i.e. Infrastructure grants, Gas Tax, transportation and project grants, etc.).
- Liaises with the Auditors regarding implementation and completion of the annual audit such as preparing year end working papers.
- Responsible for ensuring HST compliance including collections, input tax credits, rebates and monthly remittances.
- Completes annual reports relating to Land Ambulance Services, Federal Gas Tax, Provincial Transit Gas Tax and other reports as required.
- Assists other Departments with year- end accounting processes.
- Prepares the reserve and reserve fund transactions.
- Responsible for the management of the Capital Asset Module, including additions, disposals, amortization and year-end reports including schedules by both asset type and functional categories, as well as all capital gains or losses on disposal.
1. Ensures the timely completion of all bank reconciliations for all Town accounts.
- In the course of duties, answers enquiries, directly and by telephone, and provides information to the Council, other departments, public and other parties.
- Provides information to Director of Finance and Council as required.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Education, Knowledge and Skill:
- Completion of a University Degree and enrolment in a professional accounting program (CPA, CA, CGA, CMA).
- Five to seven years experience in a similar role.
- Good knowledge, training and experience in municipal finance and accounting practices.
- Good organizational skills, initiative and ability to perform tasks without close supervision.
- Good knowledge of word processing and applicable financial computer applications (e.g. OPTA, Microsoft Windows and office applications, Microsoft Dynamics – Diamond Software and Excel).
- Good knowledge of legislation, policies and programs that affect municipal government.
- Good public relations skills, including an appreciation of the need for confidentiality, tact and discretion.
- Good conflict resolution and human resource skills
- Good writing and reporting skills
- Good analysis and research skills
Working Conditions & Physical Environment:
- Use of computers and telephone.
- Long periods of sitting, good lighting, temperature and noise control.
- Regular working hours for this position are Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm with a one-hour lunch break for a total of 35-hours per week.
Health & Safety:
All employees working for the Corporation of the Town of Parry Sound are governed by the Corporations Health & Safety Policy.
- Ensure that all operations are conducted in a safe manner and in accordance with the established policies and procedures.
- Ensure that all operations are conducted in a safe manner and in accordance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations.
- Ensures proper ergonomic requirements are met, and good ergonomic procedures are practiced.
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent of this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities required of the position.
This is a full-time permanent with a compensation range of $70,000 to $90,000 annually. The successful candidate will be eligible for OMERS Pension and provided a comprehensive benefits package.
The Town of Parry Sound is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under the Town of Parry Sound Recruitment Policy. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
Interested candidates may submit a cover letter and resume by 4:00 pm Wednesday, October 7, 2020, in the following ways:
Email: In one document, your resume and cover letter, under the subject line “[your name- Manager of Accounting] Application” to Alicia Lesperance, Human Resources Coordinator at email@example.com.
Mail or Drop-Off: Attention Human Resources
52 Seguin Street, Parry Sound, ON P2A 1B4
We thank all applicants for their interest. We will contact those applicants selected for an interview.
Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and will be used for employment assessment purposes only.
- Offered Salary$70,000+
- Career LevelSpecialist
- Experience5 Years +
- SECTORMunicipal Government
- QualificationBachelor Degree
- Application Closing Time07.10.2020 16:00