The Town of Newmarket is seeking an individual to provide contracted services for the Town of Newmarket’s Legislative Services Department. This contract calls for an experienced, qualified individual who is available to work approximately 1 day per month on an as-needed basis. Services will be paid by invoice, by full day ($500.00) or half day ($250.00) based on hearing schedule.
The Hearing Officer will review decisions made by Screening Officers in relation to municipal by-law penalties issued as part of the Town of Newmarket Administrative Monetary Penalty System (AMPS). While the initial AMPS By-law 2019-62 focuses on parking offences, it will be expanded into other offences covered by the Provincial Offences Act. The duties of a Hearing Officer include:
- Review files for penalties issued under the AMPS By-law, and make decisions on whether to vary administrative penalty amounts and/or time to pay administrative penalties in accordance with the AMPS By-law and associated policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Conduct hearings in accordance with the Statutory Powers Procedure Act, ensuring equal access, fair treatment and due process for all parties.
- Make rulings and issuing oral and written decisions relating to the AMPS By-law that are independent and free of outside influence. Decisions made by the Hearing Officer are deemed final and binding.
- Preferably, member of Society of Ontario Adjudicators and Regulators (SOAR) and/or the Law Society of Ontario (LSO).
- Formal post-secondary education in Law Enforcement, Regulatory Law, Public Administration, or related and/or have an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with respect to adjudicative processes, including conducting trials or hearings for Provincial tribunal or court.
- Experience in interpreting and applying appropriate legislation, including Municipal by-laws, the Municipal Act, the Provincial Offences Act and the Statutory Powers Procedure Act.
- Formal Training and experience in mediation and alternative dispute resolution.
- Demonstrated knowledge in use of computer software including Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel) and Parking Control Management Software.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal, written and presentation), and highly effective leadership and facilitation abilities.
- Ability to formulate reasoned decisions and communicate them clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing; and to deal courteously and effectively with staff, stakeholders, consultants and the public.
- Good organizational, time management and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated respect for diversity and inclusivity in maintaining a fair and transparent process for all persons, regardless of physical or mental abilities.
- Committed to ongoing professional development to enhance expertise and remain current in the field.
- Flexibility to provide services on an as-needed basis (approximately one (1) day per month), Hearing schedules will be determined in consultation with Legislative Services Staff.
The terms of this contract will include the contractor providing proof insurance (professional practitioner, workplace safety insurance).
This two-year contract will have the option of extending for an additional term.
In order to fulfil this contract the individual must be independent from the Town of Newmarket and free from conflict of interest.
- Must have no convictions of an offence under a Federal or Provincial enactment, for which a pardon has not been granted, at least ten (10) years before applying for the appointment.
- Is not currently cited in a By-law notice or have outstanding ticket(s) issued, or otherwise indebted to the Town of Newmarket, (e.g. non-payment of property taxes, parking violations, licensing violations, etc.)
- Is not currently and for at least six (6) months prior to the appointment has been an employee or an elected official of a local government.
- Is currently not a Member of Town of Newmarket Council or has not been one within the last three (3) years.If you are interested in this contract for services, please send an expression of interest, including qualifications in a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by 4:30 PM on December 11, 2019.
- Offered SalaryN/A
- Career LevelOthers
- ExperienceLess than 2 years
- SECTORMunicipal Government
- Application Closing Time11.12.2019 21:57