Reporting to the Director of Engineering & Infrastructure, the General Manager of Utilities will be responsible for overall direction and management of City utility services including solid waste, water treatment, wastewater treatment, water & wastewater distribution and collection departments. Duties will include preparing annual division budget including multiyear capital and operating forecasts; preparation of reports; ensuring compliance with regulatory requirements, contract administration, development of maintenance plans for existing facilities and infrastructure, and asset management functions.
- Post-secondary degree with specialization in Civil or Environmental Engineering, Environmental Sciences or related field of study.
- Minimum seven (7) years municipal experience with focus on environmental services, water and wastewater treatment, and sustainable waste management
- 5 years’ supervisory experience with an ability to develop and mobilize people to achieve a shared vision and implement strategies.
- Demonstrated knowledge of professional engineering principles and best practices as applied to design and implementation of various municipal works; including solid waste management and water and waste water services
- Must possess valid ‘G’ class driver’s license and have access to a reliable vehicle
- Certificates in Water Distribution and Wastewater Collection and or Water and Waste Water Treatment would be considered an asset.
- Experience in the preparation of operating and capital budgets, forecasting, expenditure management.
- Knowledge of applicable legislation such as Municipal Act, Environmental Protection Act, Safe Drinking Water Act, Ontario Water Resources Act, Source Water Protection legislation, MECP regulations and design standards, Occupational Health & Safety Act, and any other associated regulations.
- Computer literacy skills including Microsoft Office applications, and various SCADA software.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to communicate with all levels of staff, external contractors, and the general public
- Well-developed organizational and time management skills with an ability to complete a high volume of work with accuracy and within prescribed deadlines in a fast pace environment with flexibility to changing priorities
Qualified candidates are invited to submit a cover letter and resume that clearly indicates how they meet the full qualifications of the position to:
1 Main St. S, Kenora, ON P9N 3X2
Fax: 807-467-2150 | Email: email@example.com
Successful applicants will be subject to criminal and professional reference check.
The City of Kenora is an equal opportunity Employer and committed to building a workforce that reflects the rich diversity of the community we serve. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals including members of groups with historical and/or current barriers to equitable employment, including but not limited to, Indigenous Peoples, members of racialized communities or visible minorities, persons with visible and/or invisible disabilities, diverse sexual and gender identities, orientations and/or expressions, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
The City of Kenora is committed to providing accommodation in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require an accommodation, please advise the Human Resources department in advance to ensure your participation in the recruitment and selection process.
Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and is used to determine eligibility for potential employment.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Offered Salary$100,000+
- Career LevelSenior Management
- Experience7 Years +
- SECTORMunicipal Government
- QualificationAssociate Degree
- Application Closing Time27.01.2023 18:30