The Comox Valley is an attractive geographic location, rich in rural agriculture, vibrant urban development, meandering coastline and dramatic mountains. There are spectacular outdoor activities available throughout the region, offering unlimited possibilities to current and prospective residents.
At the Comox Valley Regional District (CVRD) we work collaboratively, continually look toward the future and strive to be the change we wish to see in our communities. Our values coupled with a commitment to leadership excellence and a resolute focus on serving the residents of the Comox Valley, help to create an organizational culture that’s second to none. What we do goes beyond work, offering our employees the support to achieve and maintain a healthy balance between work and lifestyle. Working with the CVRD is a plus for everyone.
We are currently seeking a General Manager to lead our Community Services Team. The Community Services Branch is responsible for programs and services related to key interests of the community including: arts, culture, parks, recreation, fire protection, and business continuity/emergency services. The General Manager ensures a comprehensive and integrated approach in the provision of services in order to meet the strategic priorities and requirements of the Comox Valley Regional District (CVRD) Board. The incumbent serves as a member of the regional district’s Executive Management Team (EMT), and acts as a key advisor regarding recommended strategies for the provision of all services within the Community Services Branch.
Reporting to the CAO, the primary responsibilities of this role include:
- Providing expert advice and consultation regarding the development of strategic and corporate plans, identifying strategies for realizing key business plan objectives, and resolving critical issues of a cross-organizational nature;
- Leadership of branch functions, including providing critical advice and recommendations to the CAO and executive regarding strategies for the development and delivery of branch services, key policy initiatives, new programs, and the management of high profile and politically sensitive issues;
- Leading the preparation of Community Services policy and planning matters for review by the CAO and presenting reports and recommendations to committees and commissions of the Board and the Board;
- Providing Branch leadership in the assessment of long-term operating, maintenance and capital improvement requirements of parks, recreation facilities, and other Community Services infrastructure in order to meet the CVRD’s long-term growth strategy;
- Working closely with the Communications department regarding internal and external communications related to the Community Services portfolio;
- Representing the CVRD in meetings with all external stakeholders and advancing goals and objectives of the branch utilizing a professional and collaborative approach ;
- Participating in the recruitment process for the Community Services Branch and fostering engagement and excellent performance through the provision of training, counselling, coaching and career development for reporting staff;
- Responding to grievances and resolving staff concerns in consultation with the Executive Manager of Human Resources and senior Community Services Branch staff;
- Preparing the work plans for Community Services senior management as well as preparation and authorization of departmental annual budgets;
- Keeping abreast of emerging trends within areas of interest to the Branch, and of changes and developments within the CVRD, province, and public and private sectors.
Our ideal candidate is:
- A very strong leader with demonstrated experience in the workplace building a strong team and advancing goals and objectives at the Branch level in alignment with organizational goals
- A strategic thinker and visionary with demonstrated leadership, problem solving and conflict resolution skills;
- Well-versed in the theories, strategies and processes pertaining to parks, recreation and community services management;
- A relationship builder with the ability to develop and maintain rapport with a wide range of stakeholders;
- Collaborative and approachable with the ability to mentor, develop and motivate staff to achieve optimal performance in a team environment;
- A strong communicator with exceptional writing and facilitation skills;
- Able to successfully navigate politically sensitive situations, encourage consensus and achieve organizational results;
- A strong researcher with significant project management, business planning and risk management experience;
- Educated in Business, Recreation or another related discipline with a Master’s degree or equivalent education and experience, supplemented by university courses in government, law, public policy, administration and statistics;
- Experienced in leadership, planning and policy development, strategic planning and corporate performance measurement within a diverse portfolio with a minimum of ten years of related experience at a senior level in local or regional government;
- Certified in Local Government Administration with training in Emergency Management;
- An advanced user of Microsoft Office and comfortable using Adobe Acrobat, Explorer, and SharePoint applications.
This is an exempt position and is not part of any union bargaining unit.
The closing date for this position is July 16, 2019 @ 3:00 pm. To review the complete job description and to apply go to the CVRD website www.comoxvalleyrd.ca/jobs. Applications for available positions with the CVRD must be received prior to the indicated closing date and time. We appreciate all applications; however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The Comox Valley Regional District is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all individuals.
Experience10 Years +
Application Closing Time16.07.2019 15:00