The Township of Algonquin Highlands with a permanent population of 2,000 and a seasonal population exceeding 10,000 is known within Central Ontario as an area of natural beauty where residents enjoy a rural lifestyle second to none.
The Township of Algonquin Highlands is seeking applications from experienced, qualified persons for the position of Fire Chief. Reporting to the C.A.O., and as a member of the Senior Management Team, the Fire Chief is responsible for the overall operation of the fire services including administration, policy development, budget development and management, operational procedures, fire suppression/investigation, fire prevention and public education, emergency medical responses, community emergency planning, public relations and ensuring compliance with the Ontario Fire Code, Municipal By-Laws and Provincial and Federal legislation. The Fire Chief also supervises a full-time Training Officer and volunteer resources within three (3) stations.
This position also serves as the Community Emergency Management Coordinator for the Township.
The preferred candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- A minimum of ten (10) years of progressive related experience with a volunteer department including five (5) years of municipal management experience sufficient to demonstrate competency and extensive knowledge of all aspects of the position.
- A related post-secondary education or community college diploma in Fire Services.
- Community Emergency Management Coordinator designation is preferred.
- Ontario Fire College Company Officer certification.
- Ontario Fire College Fire Prevention Officer certification.
- Successful applicant will be willing to enroll, be enrolled or is a graduate of continuing education at the Ontario Fire College pertaining to technical training and enforcement responsibilities.
- Must possess current CPR and First Aid Certification.
- Must possess a valid class “DZ” Ontario Driver’s License in good standing.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- A solid understanding of municipal budget planning, forecasting and management principles.
- Excellent computer skills and a basic understanding of, and ability to use, a variety of social media platforms.
Salary Range: $79,188.20 – $89,133.57 (35 hrs/week)
A detailed job description is available at www.algonquinhighlands.ca or upon request.
The Township of Algonquin Highlands is an equal opportunity employer committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. We will accommodate the needs of applicants under Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process, upon the request of the applicant. Please advise in advance if you require accommodation. In accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act and will be used only for candidate selection.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit a cover letter and resume in confidence marked “Fire Chief Application” to:
Township of Algonquin Highlands
1123 North Shore Road, Algonquin Highlands, Ontario, K0M 1J1
- Offered Salary$80,000+
- Career LevelSenior Management
- Experience10 Years +
- SECTORMunicipal Government
- Application Closing Time04.01.2021 16:30