Whitby combines a small town atmosphere with the sophistication and amenities of a larger urban centre. Located on the shores of Lake Ontario, Whitby boasts two beautiful heritage downtowns, one of the finest recreational harbours with two marinas, year round sports and recreation activities, parks, trails, beaches and a robust arts and culture scene, all of which are part of the extraordinary amenities that Whitby residents enjoy every day. With a population projected to grow to 200,000 people within the next 15 years, Whitby has an exciting and aspiring future.
Reporting to the Manager of Financial Planning, the Financial Analyst is responsible for providing departmental budget support for both capital and operating budgets, long term forecasting and financial planning, and maintaining the integrity of financial information. Specific duties may include, but are not necessarily limited to:
- providing support to the Manager of Financial Planning and various departments for the budget process;
- promote the corporate use of available financial information and to improve the information available to users;
- ensure understandable and useful information is available in a timely manner by developing financial reports in consultation with user departments that meets the needs of the users;
- encourage the use of financial information by developing training programs required for users and coordinate delivery of the training programs;
- ensure information required by users are included in the G/L appropriately;
- work with departments to develop on line operating and capital budgets;
- assist in maintaining the integrity of the financial system, managing reserves, reserve fund and long term asset management requirements;
- promote the long term financial planning and forecasting both corporately and by department;
- work with departments on a quarterly basis to develop forecasts for operating budgets;
- help develop and improve processes and policies using best practices; and,
- assist in special projects as a financial resource.
As the successful applicant, you must possess:
- degree in Accounting, Finance, Business, Public Administration, or a closely related field from an accredited University, or equivalent;
- a maintained professional designation – CPA;
- a minimum of five years of progressive responsibility within a financial department, preferably in a Municipal environment;
- knowledge of modern government accounting theory principles and practices, management information systems and computerized financial applications;
- knowledge of public finance and fiscal planning; and,
- knowledge of budgetary accounting and reporting systems.
Salary: $87,193 – $102,582 per annum
Hours: Monday through Friday – 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Application Deadline: Friday, November 15, 2019
Application Instructions: To be considered for this challenging opportunity, please apply through the Town of Whitby website; Current Opportunities.
Please quote reference number: 19-TM004-266
The selection process may include assessment methods to further determine a candidate’s knowledge and skills for the position.
The Town of Whitby is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. Please advise Human Resources of any accommodations needed to ensure your access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
Acknowledgement will only be forwarded to those applicants who are invited for an interview. Personal information provided is collected under the authority of The Municipal Act, 2001 and the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
- Offered Salary$50,000 - $100,000
- Career LevelOthers
- Experience6 - 10 Years
- SECTORMunicipal Government
- QualificationAssociate Degree
- Application Closing Time15.11.2019 11:06