Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer, this leadership role provides leadership, vision and general oversight to a large staff complement of both non-union and unionized employees, working closely with all Town departments, Town Council, community including various stakeholders and other levels of government while developing strategic partnerships through relationship building while ensuring the delivery of efficient and effective municipal services.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide professional opinion, strategic advice and guidance to Council, Committees, and staff for all of the related programs and services within the Building, Community Services, Fire and Planning Departments/Service areas.
- Coordinate and manage projects of major corporate significance, prepare and review reports, present and defend policy recommendations related to Building, Community, Fire, and/or Planning issues.
- Develop and monitor annual plans, objectives and performance measures for the department which includes fire, facilities, land use policy planning, coordinating the municipal response to development applications, zoning administration, and built heritage planning.
- Ensure the appropriate resources are provided to support Committee, heritage Committee, Council and other public meetings to present and defend planning recommendations. Serve as the Town’s Chief Planning Official.
- Responsible for direct oversight of the Town’s Land use planning function
- Responsible for carrying out Council’s delegation of authority pursuant to By-Law (final subdivision approval, site plan control approval, removal of holding symbols, part lot lift control, release of agreements, reduce/release site plan securities, draft plans of subdivision, amend condominium declarations/descriptions, cash-in-lieu of parking, and technical consents).
- Provides oversight of the Committee of Adjustment process and one-stop approach for Development Approvals process (Heritage Act and Planning Act applications).
- Represent the Corporation at various meetings and hearings including by providing planning evidence at Hearings and/or Court actions.
- Act as critical point of contact for the development community. Assist with the coordination of comments from the various Town departments and services as it relates to development projects on behalf of the Technical Services Review Committee
- Effectively manage the Building, Community Services, Fire and Planning team by engaging staff, providing development opportunities, mentoring as required, and fostering a positive environment.
- Demonstrate and maintain a high degree of integrity and develop trust and confidence in the deliver of public services.
- The Executive Directors shall perform the duties of the Chief Administrative Officer during the absence of the CAO or when called upon through a formal rotation as determined by CAO.
- Minimum of a University Degree in Urban and Regional Planning, Urban Studies, Environmental Studies or related degree, combined with a Business degree or a master’s in public administration, or other relevant post-graduate discipline,
- Registered Professional Planner (RPP) with the Canadian Institute of Planners in good standing,
- Ten (10) years of related experience including seven (7) years’ progressive experience in a multi-disciplinary, fast-paced environment, including a senior leadership role in a municipal, unionized environment
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of Provincial Policy Statement, Planning Act, Ontario Heritage Act, planning methodologies, legal requirements for municipalities, other related statutes and regulations, and contract law relative to the Department and Corporation.
- Strong leadership, analytical, interpersonal and change management skills and deliver complex, multifaceted projects/studies
- Experience in corporate strategic planning process, annual budget process and financial reporting/forecasting
- Experience in the delivery and integration of customer service best practices
- Experience in development of urban and rural planning policies
- Demonstrated ability to understand council and community expectations with the ability to translate that knowledge into annual departmental work plans
- Offered Salary$100,000+
- Career LevelExecutive
- Experience10 Years +
- SECTORMunicipal Government
- QualificationAssociate Degree
- Application Closing Time21.03.2020 15:19
Related Jobs (1)
- Program Manager, Customer Service and Customer Experienceon April 16, 2021Contract