City of Cambridge
People, Place, Prosperity
Working within our Strategic Plan, Cambridge Connected, and committing to our values of Integrity, Respect, Inclusiveness and Service, the successful candidate will work together to help the City of Cambridge achieve our vision: A place for people to prosper – alive with opportunity.
The City of Cambridge has a temporary one (1) year opening for an Executive Assistant position within our Community Development Department. The EA directly reports to the Deputy City Manager (DCM), Community Development. The main function of the role is to provide positive and professional administrative leadership to ensure good customer support to internal and external customers. The role provides strategic support to the DCM as well as the divisions within the department and assists with creating a supportive and efficient team environment. With effective political acumen, the EA will be able to recognize politically sensitive and/or confidential issues and bring matters forward appropriately, while maintaining confidentiality and professional discretion. The EA will be a contributing member of the Executive Assistants’ team who will provide leadership, supervision, and direction to Administrative Assistants within the department.
What you will be doing
- Manages the DCM’s business schedule and anticipate needs, take initiative to obtain details and work independently. Drafts and edits material such as presentations, spreadsheets, graphics and reports as required. Coordinates other committee meetings including specialized and politically sensitive committees. Provides administrative support to DCM’s direct reports as required.
- Recognizes politically sensitive and/or confidential issues and bring matters to the attention of the DCM and communicate appropriately to other staff. Maintains professional discretion at all times and demonstrate the ability to triage concerns/issues and negotiates/facilitates scheduling, reporting and the necessary follow up. Strong interpersonal skills required to be an efficient executive assistant.
- Represents the department on committees as directed. Assists the department with reports to Council; the corporate strategic plan and department business plans; ensure documents comply with city standards and meet deadlines. Liaises and exchanges information with other departments and external parties. Creates weekly council agenda forecasts used by the offices of the Mayor and Council and the Clerk.
- Participates in the annual budget exercise, forecast change reports, reconciliations and work with the budget analyst to find explanations for variances throughout the year. Prepares and processes all payment requests for the department (and its divisions as required). Ensures signing authority for functional responsibilities at appropriate levels, purchase orders, requisitions, etc. for all divisions within the department.
- Identifies continuous improvement opportunities in the department and promote corporate values. Conducts research and analysis of subjects to identify and support improvement opportunities. Coordinates events related to training and information sessions for the department and identify specialized training in collaboration with management and supervisory staff in the department as well as the organizational development division.
- Acts as project coordinator on special projects as identified, tracking project schedules, task deadlines, milestones, project reports, coordinate project meetings with project stakeholders and liaise with consultants and service providers as directed by project manager. Collaborates with the Project Management Office sharing business analytics and reporting as required.
- Supports the department in identifying and coordinating risk management activities, inventories and departmental risk management plans.
- Contributes as a member of the Executive Assistants (EA) team. Provides leadership, supervision and direction to Administrative Assistants within own department. Maintains regular open communication with EA to the City Manager.
- Departmental records coordinator; attendance record reporting; web contributor; council report and councilor contact tracking for department.
- Backs up the Executive Assistant of the City Manager as required.
Three year College Diploma in Business Administration or Office Administration.
Experience and Knowledge
Minimum of three years of progressive responsible and diversified corporate administrative experience including project coordination/management skills, advanced MS Office skills, with a good understanding of financial principles and solid business writing skills. Public sector experience would be beneficial.
We will ask you for these items if you are hired
- Proof of your current and valid certificate(s) and/or educational qualifications
- Worker Health and Safety Awareness Training Certificate from the Ministry of Labour. (may be obtained post offer)
This position is located in Band Level 3 of the Non-Union Salary Scale and has an annual salary range of $65,290 to $79,623.
Hours of work
Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm (35 hours per week)
Posting closing date
To apply for this position visit: www.cambridge.ca/careers. This posting closes on July 30, 2020.
Accommodation needs and protection of privacy
The City of Cambridge is an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity and inclusion. We welcome and encourage applications from all qualified individuals, and will accommodate the needs of qualified applicants under the Human Rights Code in all parts of the recruitment and hiring process.
Please contact Human Resources to make your needs known in advance, with the nature of any accommodations that you may require in respect to any materials or processes used to ensure your full and equal participation throughout the recruitment and hiring process.
Personal information collected in relation to the recruitment process is collected under the authority outlined in the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and used solely to determine eligibility for employment with the City of Cambridge only.
- Offered Salary$60,000+
- Career LevelEntry Level
- Experience3 Years +
- SECTORMunicipal Government
- Application Closing Time30.07.2020 16:30