As a member of the Southwest Middlesex team reporting to the CAO-Clerk, the Economic Development & Communications Officer is responsible for attracting and facilitating the development of new and expansion of existing industries, businesses, and services in Southwest Middlesex for the purpose of evolving the economy of the community, providing local employment opportunities and strengthening the property tax base of the Municipality. The Salary range for this part-time position is $33.65 – $36.48 per hour.
The Economic Development & Communications Officer is a highly visible, accomplished professional who reports to the CAO-Clerk. The Economic Development & Communications Officer must have the ability to:
- make good strategic decisions;
- demonstrate strong civic and community leadership;
- build relationships with economic development partners, the business community, and area municipalities;
- be responsible for managing and coordinating the implementation of council’s adopted municipal economic development strategy and action plan; and
- develop, manage and implement a communications program and initiatives for Southwest Middlesex.
- Minimum degree required: College diploma in public administration, communications, journalism, economic development, or related program.
- Certifications: Completed, or working towards, an Economic Development Certificate, Business Communications.
- Minimum five years progressive experience in general local government, including economic development, communication.
- A vehicle and valid driver’s class G license.
Other Key Skills
- In-depth knowledge of economic development strategies, theories, and programs, within the municipal sector.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to allow for:
- superior advisory services;
- customer service; and
- team work.
- Superior written and oral communication skills.
- Organizational skills to work on a number of projects simultaneously and prioritize accordingly to complete tasks within appropriate timeframes.
- Computer, social media, research, analysis, and report writing skills are all required.
- Flexibility and adaptability.
- Good problem-solving skills and a commitment to confidentiality and professional ethics.
- Ability to work with private business while demonstrating acumen, diplomacy, and tactfulness.
- Knowledge of legislation and programs related to economic development.
- Excellent analytical skills showing good judgement and sound problem solving.
- Demonstrated organizational skills to meet strict and time sensitive deadlines.
- Ability to accurately define, and effectively address, problems as they arise.
a) Promote and encourage balanced industrial, commercial, residential and agricultural development that will increase assessment, employment and social opportunities in Southwest Middlesex.
b) Initiate and conduct discussions and negotiations with the private and public sectors regarding economic development initiatives, including land sales and the provision of municipal services.
c) Identify the need for and develop a variety of promotional and marketing tools and community building events to attract new businesses and residents.
d) Develop resources to support, implement, and monitory effective marketing strategies.
e) Maintain awareness of regional, provincial and federal economic planning programs and activities.
f) Develop and maintain active contact with other business and economic development organizations, and government agencies in order to stay abreast of current programs and services, and ensure that the Municipality’s interests are served.
g) Attend and facilitate community meetings, often with Council members
h) Prepare and disseminate information regarding the availability of land, buildings and other facilities conducive to the promotion of business and industry.
i) Maintain active contacts with the relevant agencies at all levels of government.
j) Identify the needs of the business community and inform the appropriate public sector bodies of these needs.
k) Research and pursue all possible funding opportunities that promote and enhance the capacity of the Municipality to provide economic development services.
l) Provide information and advice to prospective entrepreneurs, agencies, the community and other interested bodies on matters relating to economic development.
m) Market and promote the Municipality of Southwest Middlesex within and outside the Municipality in coordination with the County of Middlesex Economic Development Department, through trade shows, promotional literature, press releases, the Municipal website and social media.
n) Attend Council meetings and prepare reports to Council with recommendations on matters related to economic development and communications.
o) Prepare annual economic development budget for approval. Responsible for monitoring, controlling, and reporting budget variations.
p) Attend meetings of various government, community and business groups, as required.
q) Coordinate and implement, in concert with Southwest Middlesex Department Heads, the communications program of the municipality, including:
• Responsible for maintaining and updating the Municipal website.
• Oversee and co-ordinate advertising of Southwest Middlesex.
• Provide support to Southwest Middlesex departments in the development and dissemination of communications material.
• Prepare media releases.
• Co-ordinate and prepare Municipal publications, including, council newsletter, annual report on economic development strategy implementation, etc.
• Responsible for Municipal Social Media program.
• Organize and execute local networking events.
r) Organize meetings and support the SWM Economic Development Committee meetings.
s) Follow all Health & Safety policies and procedures and report any non-compliance or any possible safety risks.
t) Perform other duties as may be assigned by CAO-Clerk.
Note: For a more complete job description, please visit www.southwestmiddlesex.ca
Individuals having these qualifications are encouraged to submit a resume and letter of application by 12 noon, March 26, 2020 to:
Jill Bellchamber Glazier, CAO-Clerk
firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to
The Municipality of Southwest Middlesex
153 McKellar Street
Glencoe, ON N0L 1M0
- Offered SalaryTBD
- Career LevelSpecialist
- Experience5 Years +
- SECTORMunicipal Government
- Application Closing Time26.03.2020 15:24