The Director of Public Works oversees a division responsible for the construction, operation, maintenance, and repair of roadways, sidewalks, and boulevards; storm water and wastewater sewer and drainage maintenance; winter control systems; and public works equipment. The Director participates on the Senior Management Team.
About Public Works:
The Public Works Division is responsible for day to day administration, supervision, and maintenance of the Municipality of Chatham-Kent infrastructure. The division is divided into two areas: North of the Thames River and South of the Thames River. There are 9 public works garages and north and south Water Waste/Water (sewers, water distribution).
Situated between two beautiful, fresh water lakes, Chatham-Kent is home to a rich, colourful landscape which creates a wonderful backdrop for our unique towns and welcoming communities. You can live the dream without breaking the bank; with housing prices a fraction of those in comparative locations. For example, in 2017, an average home sold for $822,681 in Toronto, $330,037 in London and only $184,658 here in Chatham-Kent.
Overview of responsibilities:(please see the job profile for the complete responsibilities at municipal jobs)
The Director of Public Works directs a division responsible for ensuring the delivery of safe, efficient, and well maintained Public Works Infrastructure (i.e. roads, sidewalks, sewers, water distribution systems and airport) for the ratepayers and tourists of Chatham Kent; supports the negotiation and implementation of the CUPE 12.1 collective agreement; oversees requirements set out by the Municipal Act, Highway Traffic Act, and Occupational Health & Safety Act with regards to Public Works administration/ infrastructure; oversees the principles and practices of public works administration as applied to the design, construction and maintenance of street, sanitary and storm sewer drainage system, and other public works facilities and services. Oversees an annual operating budget of approximately $60 million.
Qualifications:(please see the job profile for the complete qualifications at municipal jobs)
- Graduate of a civil or mechanical engineering post-secondary program (preferably a university degree), with six (6) to 10 years of related experience required; business public administration/management certificate and project management performance designation an asset
- Ontario Ministry of the Environment Climate Change (MOECC) certification in Water Distribution and Wastewater Collection would be an asset/ completion of Class I Waste Water Collection System certificate of competency would be an asset
- Certified Road Supervisor Senior Certificate would be an asset
- P.Eng. designation preferred (will consider a CET designation), with current registration with appropriate professional regulatory body in Ontario
- This permanent full-time position has an annual wage range of $114,623 to $134,994 (2018 rates), plus health and dental benefits following the successful completion of a 90 day probationary period. Participation in the OMERS pension plan is mandatory. The Municipality offers a comprehensive benefit package, including long term disability and an extended health plan.
Please see the job profile for instructions on applying to this position, which can be found in our job ad at municipal jobs . Applications must be received before 4:30 p.m., Thursday, September 13, 2018.
Cover letters should recount your related experience and your interest in the Director, Public Works position. We prefer that resumes be no longer than 3 pages in length.
The Municipality of Chatham-Kent is an equal opportunity employer, committed to fair and accessible employment practices that attract and retain talented employees. Should you require accommodations during the recruitment process, please contact Human Resources & Organizational Development (HROD) at 519-360-1998 or email@example.com. Applicant information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Privacy legislation and will be used strictly for the purpose of candidate selection. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Offered Salary$50,000+
- Career LevelOthers
- Experience10 Years +
- SECTORMunicipal Government
- QualificationBachelor Degree
- Application Closing Time13.08.2018 16:30