The United Counties of Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry (SDG) is located along the St. Lawrence River in the south-eastern corner of Ontario. SDG is “Where Ontario Began”, and is rich in heritage, tradition, and culture with an abundance of historical sites, great events, and beautiful attractions. With a population of 65,000, SDG is primarily rural yet close to urban centres such as Cornwall, Ottawa, and Brockville.
The County is presently accepting applications for the full-time senior management position of Director of Planning Services. Reporting directly to the Chief Administrative Officer, the successful candidate will lead a key County Department.
Main duties include but are not limited to:
- Oversee and provide planning services for SDG and participating local municipalities. Appropriately manage projects and time allocation as necessary between the County and local municipalities, to ensure excellent customer service and adherence to statutory deadlines.
- Ensure compliance with the statutory and regulatory requirements of the Planning Act and other relevant land use planning legislation.
- Identify, research, and prioritize planning related projects/matters, including updates/amendments to the County Official Plan, local municipal Zoning By-laws, development proposals, etc. Develop and implement planning-related policies, etc.
- Provide professional analysis, prepare and present reports and opinions to County and local Councils and others as required.
- Act as the designated County approval authority for draft/final plans of subdivision and condominiums, consents, part-lot control by-laws. Oversee Planning staff during the processing of plans of subdivision, consent applications, amendments to the County Official Plan and other tasks.
- Represent the interests of the County and local SDG municipalities at the Local Planning Appeals Tribunal.
- Work closely with local SDG municipalities, other government agencies, conservation and other local authorities on planning related matters. This includes participation in the County/local Planners group.
- Participate in programs, attend conferences and courses which foster professional or technical development where applicable.
- Prepare the annual budget of the Planning Department. Responsible for control of approved departmental expenditures.
- Follow all Health & Safety policies and procedures and report any non-compliance or possible safety risks.
- Subject to Council approval, assume future responsibility for the Economic Development, Tourism, and Communications staff of the County (3 positions).
- An undergraduate degree in Planning or related field, combined with membership or eligibility for membership in the Ontario Professional Planners Institute is required. 5-8 years of professional experience is required, preferably in a municipal setting. Familiarity with both local and upper tier planning is an asset.
- Highly advanced interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills are essential for success in this position.
- Thorough knowledge of the Ontario Planning Act and the Provincial Policy Statement is necessary.
- A valid Ontario Class ‘G’ driver’s license is a requirement of this position.
2019 Salary Range: $118,143 to $135,020 with full benefit package and pension
Location: While the prime location of work will be at County Administrative, it is expected that the Director of Planning will establish regular office hours in those local municipalities serviced by County Planning staff.
Interested and qualified candidates are invited to visit our website at www.sdgcounties.ca to obtain the complete instruction package on how to apply. Applications will be received by e-mail until 12:00 noon on Monday, December 16, 2019. Please note that applicants selected for an interview will be contacted in early January 2020.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Personal information received in this application will be used solely for employee selection purposes and will be handled in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. We will accommodate the needs of applicants under the Human Rights Code during the hiring process.
- Offered SalaryN/A
- Career LevelManagement
- ExperienceLess than 2 years
- SECTORMunicipal Government
- QualificationAssociate Degree
- Application Closing Time16.12.2019 21:49