Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer, we are seeking an experienced and highly motivated individual for the position of Director of Operations. As a member of the Township’s Senior Management Team you will be responsible for operational oversight of all human, physical and financial resources of the Public Works Department and as such, will provide strategic and operational advice to Council and the CAO on all Public Works matters. The Director will also work in the field carrying out supervision, patrols, inspections and will work and communicate collectively with Water/Wastewater Management, operations on matters of interdepartmental. As a senior member will evaluate and recommend efficiencies across department/division of the Township of Red Rock and drives continuous improvement and program review in relation to operational capacity and financial efficiencies short and long term.
Required Skills, Experience, Exposure:
- Effectively manage the Public Works Department including, but not limited to staffing & labour relations, linear infrastructure, all municipal buildings, parks, full-service marina, roads, sidewalks, fleet maintenance, garbage collection, liaison with water and sewer distribution infrastructure
- Must be experienced and exposed to effective scheduling and utilization of resources.
- Experienced and exposure to an effective work order process system. (Start to Finish) and utilization of a Record Management System.
- Manage the activities of all contractors and consultants engaged in Public Works activities.
- Develop, oversee, and report on the implementation of annual Departmental Work Plans.
- Develop and recommend comprehensive annual operating and capital budgets for the Public Works:
- Experience & Exposure of Building/Fire Codes and other common regulatory statutes.
- Working experience/knowledge of the skilled trades for the maintenance and repair of a variety of equipment and structures, including but not limited to the following skills: basic electrical repair, welding, plumbing.
- Work collaboratively with the CAO to produce annual updates to the Asset Management Plan, Tangible Capital Assets, and long-range capital forecasts.
- Receive, investigate, and respond to complaints within the Public Works Department mandate.
- Ability to interpret and administer a variety of regulations policies, and guidelines pertaining to municipal maintenance and operations.
- Must have experience and exposure on different operating equipment and tools.
- Prepare and present reports to Council and CAO.
- Manage the Health and Safety & Training, WHIMS of public work staff and ensure compliance with all applicable Health and Safety regulations and statutes.
- Project management including budgeting and procurement including obtaining and supervising contractor services as appropriate. Some of the contracts include, dust suppressant, gravel, paving, tree removal/replacements, bridge resurfacing as well as the procurement of fleet equipment.
- Serve as an active member of the Township’s Emergency Management Committee.
- Liaise with other levels of government and agencies on Public Works matters.
- Respond to emergencies on a 24/7 on-call bases.
- Community College Diploma in Civil, Environmental or Building Sciences.
- Minimum 8 years municipal (or related) progressive experience with at least 3 years in a supervisory capacity.
- Certified member (CET, C. Tech or A.Sc. T) of OACETT
- Certified Road Superintendent with AORS
- Proven experience in managing in a unionized environment and an understanding of collective agreements.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Computer skills in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Outlook, City Wide.
- Water and wastewater licences and familiarity with the Drinking Water Quality Management Standard would be an asset.
- Current Standard First Aid/CPR & WHIMS
- Class DZ License.
- Municipal Accreditation would be considered an asset.
- Minimum 35 hours per week during regular office working hours.
- Combination of an office environment at a computer workstation and field work in both urban and rural settings.
- Frequent callouts and attending to various matters in evenings and on weekends.
- Exposure to extremes in weather conditions in all seasons.
- Exposure to typical construction hazards.
A competitive salary based on proven experience/exposure along with an attractive benefit pkg, including OMERS pension. Successful candidate must provide a satisfactory criminal record check through the Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC).
Interested applicants are invited to submit their letter of interest and resume by Tuesday October 15, 2020 no later than 4:30 pm (EST).
to: Albert Headrick CAO/Clerk at firstname.lastname@example.org addressed & Marked Confidential Director of Operations.
All applicants are thanked for their interest in this position, however, only those selected for an interview will be notified.
The Township of Red Rock is committed to diversity and inclusion and offers an accessible workplace. We are an equal opportunity employer.
- Offered SalaryTBD
- Career LevelSenior Management
- Experience8 Years +
- SECTORMunicipal Government
- Application Closing Time15.10.2020 16:30