Township of Muskoka Lakes
As a key driver of change, the Director of Legislative Services/Clerk provides innovative leadership and fosters legislative understanding throughout the Township, while advancing modern and best practices for long term planning.
Position Responsibilities (for additional requirements, please refer to job description)
- Perform the statutory duties of a Municipal Clerk (Registrar, Official Signatory, Elections Officer, Licensing Officer, etc.) as required by the Municipal Act, the Municipal Elections Act and other related Acts of the Legislature. Maintain an awareness of amendments to the statutes and the effect of corresponding regulations.
- Provide corporate administrative and secretariat services as required by statute, including preparation of agendas and meeting materials for Council and Council Committee meetings and public hearings, drafting of meeting minutes and new/revised By-laws; issuance of Council decisions/directives and publication of notices.
- As a member of the Senior Leadership Team, provide input on the development of corporate strategic initiatives, evaluating the impact on the Corporation, and assisting with change management. Provide professional policy advice regarding broad corporate, council and community related objectives.
- Lead the development and implementation of the Corporate Communications program including providing professional, consistent, accurate and timely communications to all stakeholders including media, internal, external, Council, community partners, and the community
- Oversee the records management by-law and program. Support staff managing the program to ensure objectives are achieved. Review annually, make recommendations for improvements.
- Conduct the municipal election process by ensuring the requirements of the Municipal Elections Act are met and that appropriate education and communication is provided to all stakeholders.
- Delegated to act as head for the purpose of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, ensure the requirements are met, and provide support to staff with freedom of information requests.
- Review staff reports and files for application for the purchase and disposition of municipal land such as original shore road allowances and original road allowances and the entering into License agreements for encroachments on municipal property.
- Responsible for initial Township customer service contact including mail and courier services, and support staff in this regard as required.
Summary of Desired Qualifications:
- University degree in Public or Business Administration or equivalent.
- 10-15 years practical and demonstrated relevant experience, including significant experience in municipal governments.
- Certified Municipal Officer (CMO) AMCTO designation or equivalent.
- Demonstrated knowledge of municipal legislation/regulations including the Municipal Act, Municipal Elections Act, Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, Emergency Measures Act.
- Knowledge and understanding of Roberts Rules of Order and Parliamentary Procedures.
- Knowledge and understanding of the Occupational Health & Safety Act and regulations.
- Computer literacy utilizing word-processing, spreadsheet, presentation, electronic records management, database software and Internet.
- Excellent communication skills in English including spelling and grammar.
If you require disability-related accommodation to participate in the recruitment process, please advise the Human Resources department as soon as possible. Accommodation may be provided in all steps of the hiring process. We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Information collected will be used in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of candidate selection.
- Offered Salary$100,000+
- Career LevelSenior Management
- Experience10 Years +
- SECTORMunicipal Government
- QualificationBachelor Degree
- Application Closing Time02.08.2021 16:30