The Corporation of the Township of Brock, with a population of 12,000, is a lovely rural municipality situated on the shores of Lake Simcoe. The municipality is home to three urban centres (Beaverton, Cannington, Sunderland), hamlets, as well as rural and shoreline residential areas. Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer, the Director of Finance/Treasurer is responsible for the fiscal oversight and accountability of the organization as well as developing and implementing financial policies, procedures, programs and systems to ensure compliance with municipal, provincial and federal requirements. The Director/Treasurer manages the operation of the Finance Department and leads financial modernization through creativity and innovation to achieve the Township’s strategic priorities.
- Ensure the integrity of the Township’s financial management system and compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Procedures and the Municipal Act;
- Perform the statutory duties of Municipal Treasurer as defined in the Municipal Act and other statutes;
- Develop short- and long-term financial plans, including the annual operating and capital budgets, through a collaborative process with the CAO, department heads, Council and the public;
- Develop an annual Operational Plan and related work plans;
- Develop and implement financial policies, procedures and systems to protect the financial affairs of the Township;
- Provide financial information and advice to the CAO, department heads, Council and committees;
- Coordinate long-term capital planning that incorporates a comprehensive asset management system;
- Lead and provide oversight on various corporate projects including development charges;
- Prepare financial statements, reconciliations and analysis and monitor expenditures to ensure that programs and projects are within budget;
- Develop and distribute financial reports regarding the Township’s budgetary performance and outstanding taxes to Council and departments within the Corporation;
- Fulfill the statutory requirements of the Municipal Act as Treasurer, including planning, controlling, directing and administering all treasury functions to ensure effective operation, including accounts payable & receivable, insurance, payroll, purchasing, tax collection, budgets and general ledger management;
- Manage all accounts, reserve funds, trust funds, investments, borrowing and capital financing;
- Prepare levy, borrowing, penalty, interest and other financial bylaws as required;
- Oversee all year-end functions and ensure that all required information is provided for the annual audit;
- Consolidate Library financial statements;
- Represent the Township on various Committees (e.g., Area Treasurers Committee, Area Insurance Board, etc.);
- Prepare quarterly HST reports based for the Township’s account; and
- Participate on and contribute to the Senior Management Committee.
Human Resource Responsibilities
- Responsible for the hiring, discipline and dismissal of staff, in consultation with the CAO;
- Develop and regularly monitor annual performance, learning, training and development plans for each individual employee through ongoing discussions regarding goals, objectives and performance;
- Provide positive daily leadership to staff in a safe, inclusive and respectful manner;
- Provide staff direction, assist with resolution of contentious issues, motivate and support staff and hold regular team meetings for the purpose of communicating work plans, policies and procedures;
- Develop, maintain and ensure compliance with legislation, policies, procedures and guidelines to support operations, customer service, health and safety, financial management, etc.;
- Administer the terms of the applicable Collective Agreements, in collaboration with the CAO.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Post-secondary degree in Public or Business Administration, Finance, Accounting or a related field, and a professional accounting designation (Chartered Professional Accountant, CPA);
- A minimum of 5 (five) years of related progressive leadership experience, preferably in a municipal environment;
- Completion of AMCT, Tax Collectors and Municipal Accounting and Finance Programs considered an asset.
- Superb organizational and team building skills to supervise a diverse complement of full-time and part-time staff;
- Demonstrated ability to contribute to and build upon a positive and healthy work environment;
- Effective oral communication, political acuity and strong interpersonal skills to deal with members of the public, staff, council and other levels of government;
- Excellent written communication skills with attention to detail and accuracy;
- Demonstrated time-management skills with the ability to prioritize workloads and meet deadlines with minimal supervision;
- Ability to demonstrate initiative consistently with commitment to change management, quality improvement and innovation;
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office, the internet and other related software;
- Knowledge of Great Plain’s Software an asset;
- A valid Ontario Driver’s license (Class G) with a clean abstract and the use of a personal vehicle subject to the receipt of mileage expenses;
- Satisfactory criminal record check.
This is a full-time position and is governed by the Township’s Non-Union Policies and Procedures. This position may be required to respond outside of normal working hours as required. The Township offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
This job posting, and the job description (to be updated), are available at www.townshipofbrock.ca/employment. Interested applicants are invited to submit a cover letter and resume, which clearly describe how the candidate meets the qualifications, marked confidential, by no later than 4:00 p.m. on Monday, February 8, 2021 to:
Dean Hustwick, Chief Administrative Officer
The Township of Brock is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion within the workplace. We will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If you require accommodation at any time throughout the recruitment process, please contact the Clerk’s department in advance and we will make every effort to provide appropriate assistance pursuant to the Employment Accommodation Policy. We thank all applicants and advise that only those to be interviewed will be contacted. Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act and will be used to determine eligibility for potential employment.
- Offered SalaryTBD
- Career LevelSenior Management
- Experience5 Years +
- SECTORMunicipal Government
- Application Closing Time08.02.2021 16:00