The Township of Minden Hills is seeking the following Full Time position:
NEW POSITION – Deputy Fire Chief
Reporting to the Fire Chief, the Deputy Fire Chief is responsible for the day to day operations and strategic support to the Fire Chief. The Deputy Fire Chief provides proactive leadership to emergency response and rescue, fire prevention, public education, training, equipment, apparatus and facility maintenance; and ensuring compliance with the Ontario Fire Code, Municipal by-laws and Provincial and Federal Legislation.
- Thorough knowledge of fire services theory, techniques, best practices and principles, including a knowledge of emergency incident management in the role of Incident Commander.
- Sound knowledge of related legislation, pertinent to environmental services and property operations such as Technical Standard & Safety Act, OHSA, Fire Protection & Prevention Act, 1997, Occupational Health and Safety Act, Ontario Fire & Building Codes, Emergency Management & Civil Protection Act, etc.
- Sound knowledge of fire services department processes, procedures, policies, directives and guidelines.
- Thorough knowledge of equipment, vehicles and materials used in fire services.
- Flexible, adaptable and responsive to change.
- Excellent planning, time-management and multi-tasking skills.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Community Emergency Management Coordinator certification, or a willingness to obtain within a 12 month period of time.
- A minimum of ten (10) years’ firefighting experience with three (3) years’ of progressive experience as an officer in a municipal fire service, including experience in the role of Incident Command.
- Certification in the following (or grandfathered or obtained through the International Fire Service Accreditation Congress (IFSAC)):
- – NFPA Firefighter 1001 and 1002 is required
- – NFPA 1021 Fire Officer I and II is required
- – NFPA 1041 Fire Service Instructor I is required
- – NFPA 1041 Fire Service Instructor II is preferred or ability to obtain within 12 months
- – NFPA 1031 Fire Inspector I and II is preferred, or enrolled in or ability to obtain within 12 months
- – NFPA 1035 Public Information/Fire Life Safety Educator Officer is preferred, or enrolled in or ability to obtain within 12 months
- Valid First Aid/CPR certification.
- Valid Class “DZ” drivers licence for the Province of Ontario.
- Proficiency and experience with word processing (MS Word), spreadsheets (MS Excel), presentation (MS PowerPoint), Agenda software and database programs.
Salary will commensurate with experience and skills.
Prior to the final selection for this position, the candidate shall be required to provide, at their own expense, a Vulnerable Sector Check from the Ontario Provincial Police or appropriate Police Force and Driver’s Abstract.
Please refer to the Position Description for further requirements and accountabilities, obtained in person at the Administration building, 2nd floor, on our website at www.mindenhills.ca, by calling 705-286-1260 ext. 313 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
This is an open call for applications until the position has been filled. Qualified applicants are invited to submit a letter of application together with a detailed resume of education and experience to:
Deputy Fire Chief
Township of Minden Hills
7 Milne St, PO Box 359, Minden, ON K0M 2K0
Attention: Shannon Prentice, Deputy Clerk, or email email@example.com
We thank all applicants for applying, but only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Personal information and supporting material is used in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. If you are contacted by the Township of Minden Hills regarding a job opportunity or testing, please advise if you require accommodation. Information received relating to accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially. Persons with a disability preventing them from applying on-line should contact the Clerk’s Department at 705-286-1260 to discuss alternative solutions.
- Offered SalaryN/A
- Career LevelManagement
- Experience10 Years +
- SECTORMunicipal Government
- Application Closing Time06.03.2019 19:23