The Township of Havelock-Belmont-Methuen, a community in Peterborough County centrally located between Toronto and Ottawa on Highway 7 invites applications for the full-time position of Deputy Clerk. A detailed job description can be found at www.hbmtwp.ca
Reporting to the Clerk and Chief Administrative Officer, the Deputy Clerk is responsible for but not limited to:
- Providing administrative support to the Clerk and CAO.
- Preparation of Council agendas, minutes, by-laws, and follow-up correspondence.
- Filling the statutory role of the Clerk as required.
- Acting as Deputy Returning Officer for municipal elections.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A diploma or degree from a post-secondary university or college in a related field.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in an office setting (municipal or public sector) is ideal with knowledge of municipal legislation.
- Successfully completed the Municipal Administration Program (or working towards) as offered by the Association of Municipal Managers, Clerks and Treasurers.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite of software including Adobe Acrobat.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- High level of ownership, initiative, accountability and strong customer service skills.
- Ability to work irregular hours, depending on meetings.
- Ability to work in both a team environment and independently.
- Demonstrated attention to detail in a time-sensitive environment.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Political astuteness, tactfulness with a knowledge of local government processes.
- General knowledge of the Municipal Act and other local government legislation.
The Township offers a competitive salary as well as enrollment in the Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System (OMERS) and benefits plan. The salary range for this position is $55,204 to $63,815.
Please submit a detailed cover letter and resume, marked ‘Application for Deputy Clerk’ by e-mail or regular mail no later than 4:30 p.m. on Friday January 17th, 2020 to:
Clerk and Acting Chief Administrative Officer
Township of Havelock-Belmont-Methuen
P.O. Box 10, Havelock, ON K0L 1Z0
We thank all applicants and advise that acknowledgement will only be forwarded to those who are invited for an interview. Candidates are encouraged to inform of any accommodating requests. Personal information is collected pursuant to the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act to evaluate the suitability of applicants for employment only.