The City of Markham is a dynamic and change-oriented leader among Canadian municipalities. The recipient of multiple environmental awards, we are recognized for our innovative sustainability and urban planning initiatives as much as for our fiscal accountability. More than 320,000 residents call Markham home and benefit from our rich heritage, culturally diverse environment, vibrant local economy and focus on quality of life.
Applications are now being accepted for the Corporate Privacy & Records Coordinator position in the Legislative Services Department, Corporate Services Commission. To apply for this position, please submit your cover letter and resume online at http://bit.ly/2ufChVW by February 27, 2020. Please scroll to the Current Opportunities section where you will find this position.
Under the direction of the Manager, Access & Privacy, the Corporate Privacy & Records Coordinator is responsible for the implementation of the Corporate Information Governance Program (CIGP),overseeing formal information access requests and coordinating initiatives to ensure compliance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA).–. This position will coordinate Corporate technical expertise related to records management and the protection of personal privacy, and will provide guidance, training and direction to City staff. This position will coordinate in the advancement of Markham’s Digital Strategy and Open Data initiative by leading in the creation of an environment of accessible, reliable data that meets the Corporation’s legislative requirements for transparency and accountability while preserving personal privacy of residents, customers, staff and stakeholders.
Program Development and Compliance
- Responsible for the development of short and long-range strategies to manage the Corporate Information Governance Program (CIGP), including the implementation and on-going maintenance of an electronic content solution and identification of additional applications across the corporation.
- Responsible for the development and implementation of CIGP policies & procedures – and development of key performance indicators for same.
- Oversee all access to information and privacy requests including matters that are extremely sensitive and confidential in nature.
- Assess, assign, track, report and prepare responses to Freedom of Information requests made under MFIPPA, including costing, in accordance with the legislated deadlines.
- Formulate decisions on requests for information based on detailed analysis of records and prepare formal decision letters under the City Clerk’s signature, including where appropriate, information on specific exemptions, fees and appeal rights. Research and prepare submissions to the Information and Privacy Commissioner/Ontario on access appeals and privacy breaches.
Advisory and Information Services
- Responsible for CIGP promotion/outreach and provide advice and assistance to staff at all levels and members of Council on matters related to MFIPPA, privacy requirements and breaches and develop policy and procedures for managing access to information and for protecting privacy, as well as protocols, procedures, forms and guidelines for Routine Disclosure.
- Research and analyze case law and Information & Privacy Commissioner of Ontario (IPC) precedents, consulting with stakeholders to ensure their views and concerns are considered in the application of discretionary exemptions.
- Responsible for the review and selection of an appropriate records management software system and records classification system that will meet the City’s needs, including associated policies.
- Oversee the prevention and remediation of privacy breaches, which may occur, including the dissemination of lessons learned and the creation of appropriate policy revisions.
- Develop and conduct City-specific privacy impact assessments for the acquisition or development of new City systems, and the assessment of existing critical and/or sensitive systems.
- Conduct statistical analysis, and compile annual and other reports as may be required and/or appropriate.
- Other duties as assigned.
- University degree in Business, Information Management, Public Administration or a related discipline.
- Minimum of five (5) years of information or records management experience, preferably in a municipal environment.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience working directly with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA) or other related access and privacy legislation is required along with experience in policy development and analysis.
- Sound knowledge of the Copyright Act, Municipal Act, and the federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIEDA) is essential and experience conducting Privacy Impact Assessments (PIAs) is considered an asset.
- Experience researching best practices and emerging trends is required along with an ability to develop and make recommendations and draft and implement policies and procedures.
- Qualified applicants possess excellent communication skills to communicate effectively with stakeholders and navigate competing priorities and agendas successfully.
- Organizational skills are required to work well under pressure, complete multiple assignments and thrive in a high-volume workplace with multiple deadlines and a necessity for a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Excellent customer service and communication skills (oral and written) are required to communicate effectively with various levels of government bodies, City Council, City committees, staff and City of Markham residents.
- Computer proficiency is essential (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint).
- Service Excellence: Meets or exceeds service standards when interacting with customers in the community and in the organization.
- Change & Innovation: Responds positively and professionally to change and helps others through change.
- Teamwork & Relationship Building: Interacts with others in an inclusive, collaborative and respectful way that creates effective working relationships.
- Communication: Communicates in a clear, professional and respectful way; demonstrates active listening.
- Accountable & Results Oriented: Demonstrates ethical behaviour and accountability, aligns with City values, and abides by relevant policies and legislation.
- Management & Leadership: Demonstrates self-management, professionalism and engagement; leads by example.
The City of Markham is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs. We thank all those applicants who have applied however only those applications selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please respect our scent free area by not wearing scented products when visiting the office.
- Offered SalaryN/A
- Career LevelOthers
- ExperienceLess than 2 years
- SECTORMunicipal Government
- QualificationAssociate Degree
- Application Closing Time27.02.2020 21:20
Related Jobs (1)
- Director of Corporate Services – Township of Red Rockon September 16, 2020Full Time