Corporate Communications Coordinator
The United Counties of Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry (SDG) is located along the St. Lawrence River in the south-eastern corner of Ontario. SDG is “Where Ontario Began”, and is rich in heritage, tradition, and culture with an abundance of historical sites, great events, and beautiful attractions. With a population of 65,000, SDG is primarily rural yet close to urban centres such as Cornwall, Ottawa, and Brockville.
The County is presently accepting applications for the full-time position of Corporate Communications Coordinator. Under the direction of the Manager of Economic Development, this position provides strong and effective communications advice and strategy by conveying clear and timely information, both internally and externally. The Corporate Communications Coordinator supports and enhances the County’s profile and image through strategic communications, actions, responses, and measured proactive initiatives.
Main duties include but are not limited to:
- Works closely with County Directors to recommend, develop, and implement effective communication plans, strategies, and projects.
- Drafts and assists in the maintenance of corporate communications policies, templates and procedures.
- Maintains ongoing awareness of the evolving political environment, emerging issues, projects and events to proactively ensure communications activities are timely and appropriate.
- Prepares all forms of communications material for County staff and members of Council for internal and external initiatives and online presence.
- Provides overall communications support including media coaching and training to elected and appointed officials, as well as County and local municipal staff as required.
- Acts as the municipality’s Emergency Information Officer; participates as a member of the Emergency Management Planning Committee.
- Develops and maintains positive working relationships with media, external stakeholders and community members in an ongoing effort to improve community engagement.
- Designs and produces promotional and marketing material as required.
- Works with Economic Development and Tourism staff to ensure adherence to County brand guidelines.
- When directed, acts as the County’s spokesperson in place of or in conjunction with the County’s Warden, CAO, Council or senior staff, dealing with the media and any other stakeholders.
- Maintains strict confidence with respect to all information obtained during the course of the performance of the duties of the position, including but not limited to information pertaining to Council and appointed members, staff and the public, and sensitive issues and details relating to budgeting, land matters, labour relations etc.
- Two-year post-secondary diploma in communications, public relations, marketing, journalism or related field.
- An equivalent combination of relevant education and experience may be considered.
- Minimum of two (2) years of related experience in corporate communications or related field; previous municipal experience is preferred.
- Experience with content management systems and updating/maintaining websites and social media outlets.
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal, oral and written communications skills in all media and the ability to express ideas clearly and concisely with ease and confidence while representing the County in a professional, consistent and positive manner.
- Demonstrated understanding and commitment to health and safety policies, procedures and legislation.
- Must hold a valid Ontario Class “G” driver’s license.
2019 Salary Range: $55,592 to $63,534 with full benefit package and pension
Location: County Administration – 26 Pitt Street, Cornwall, Ontario
Interested and qualified candidates are invited to visit our website at www.sdgcounties.ca to obtain the complete instruction package on how to apply.
Applications will be received by e-mail until 12:00 noon on Monday, December 16, 2019. Note that applicants selected for an interview will be contacted in early January.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Personal information received in this application will be used solely for employee selection purposes and will be handled in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. We will accommodate the needs of applicants under the Human Rights Code during the hiring process.
- Offered SalaryN/A
- Career LevelOthers
- ExperienceLess than 2 years
- SECTORMunicipal Government
- Application Closing Time16-12-2019