The County of Lambton is an urban-rural area in southwestern Ontario that is home to over 126,000 residents. The Corporation’s seven divisions operate programs and services for the residents of Lambton County such as land ambulance, provincial offences court, three Long-Term Care Homes, 25 library branches, two museums, an art gallery, archives, local roadways, public health services, housing services, social services, building services and planning and development services. Lambton County is a community dedicated to economic growth, environmental stewardship and an enhanced quality of life through the provision of responsive and efficient services and collaborative efforts with its municipal and community partners.
The Compensation Specialist is responsible to provide comprehensive and professional advice, coaching and counselling to the County of Lambton related to job evaluation, compensation, data analysis and benefits plan design in accordance with existing legislation and County of Lambton policies and procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities
* Maintain the corporate compensation plan including job evaluation and pay equity plans, policies and practices.
* Make suggestions for revisions to all plans, policies and practices to Corporate Manager, HR and General Manager, Corporate Services for senior management approval.
* Prepare, maintain and update job descriptions.
* Responsible to calculate increases and prepare and maintain Schedule A documents for collective agreements and the Non Union Salary grid.
* Provide advice and support to managers and employees regarding the job evaluation process.
* Review all submitted job descriptions for compliance with corporate and/or legislative standards and recommend changes thereto to management member submitting forms.
* Coordinate job evaluation process and ensure consistent practices in relation thereto.
* Review job descriptions and job evaluation questionnaires and provides a preliminary rating within current compensation policy/grid for management approval and makes suggestions for their reviews/amendments to management.
* Respond to compensation surveys from external providers as well as comparator Municipalities.
* Review market slope requests from all Divisions. Conducts/coordinates market reviews/surveys and makes recommendations thereto to General Manager, Corporate Services for senior management approval.
* Coordinate appeals of job evaluations internally and, once that appeal process has been exhausted, any appeals forward to outside service provider.
* Act as advisory source to job evaluation committees (training, resources, etc.)
* Provide assistance and recommendations on general compensation and benefits matters for both union and non-union
* Coordinate market compensation studies (internal and external) for non-union and elected officials’ compensation.
Benefit Plan Design and Administration:
* Study organizations’ competitively of its benefits program offering.
* Coordinate reviews and renewals of ASO and non-ASO benefit programs with outside benefit consultant (including any amendments thereto).
* Assess ASO and non-ASO benefit performance and value for money, coordinates the same review with benefits consultant, and reports findings to GM for senior management review.
* Liaise with Insurance Carrier to gather costing for any coverage changes, to implement benefits enhancements and update relevant documentation such as contracts and benefits booklets. Communicate changes to employees, management and union executives.
* Gather information for labour negotiations and implement changes to employee benefit plans as required.
* Draft bi-annual report to GM regarding performance of corporate compensation plans, policies and committees and regarding ASO and non-ASO benefits.
* Review and make suggestions on new policies and procedures in areas of assigned responsibility.
* Provides same services to lower tier municipalities as assigned.
Employee Assistance Program:
* Coordinate the renewal for EAP services for the County of Lambton
* Arrange for critical incident management services to be deployed for County and lower tiers. Point person responsible to liaise with the provider to arrange for the services to be rendered.
* Designated contact person for lower tiers and community partners for EAP services including marketing, answering general inquiries and setting up contract/billing as required.
* Handle all staff enquiries regarding EAP resources and allotment of services.
* Incumbents must keep up-to-date on all relevant legislation, collective bargaining agreements, County Policies and Procedures, etc. ensuring that these are implemented as prescribed
* Incumbents must possess the physical ability to meet the duties and responsibilities of the job description and/or the requirements identified within the position’s Physical Demands Analysis
These describe the general nature and level of work being performed by incumbents in this classification. They are not an exhaustive list of all job duties in the classification. Other duties may be assigned.
Direct Supervision: Not applicable
Indirect Supervision: Not applicable
Functional Authority: Not applicable
Minimum formal Education:
* A 3 year Community College Diploma in Human Resources or Business Administration.
* Certified Human Resources Professional (CHRP) designation preferred.
* 3-4 years’ various experience within a Human Resources department required.
* Knowledge of and experience working with Benefits Administration, Job Evaluation, Compensation and Pay Equity and Labour Relations in both union and non-union environments.
* Proficient in all Microsoft programs.
* Previous experience working with HRIS data base system
* Must possess diplomacy, tact and excellent communication (verbal and written) skills.
How to Apply
All applications are accepted online at www.lambtononline.ca/jobs. Please select job posting #J1019-0570 Compensation Specialist to apply. Applications are accepted until 11:59pm on Wednesday, October 30, 2019.
Bottom of Form
- Offered SalaryN/A
- Career LevelOthers
- ExperienceLess than 2 years
- SECTORMunicipal Government
- Application Closing Time30.10.2019 14:22