The City of Calgary’s Finance business unit is responsible for the development, implementation, management, and administration of financial matters. Finance ensures that The City remains well managed and financially stable, maintains an excellent credit rating, and supports stable business and property taxes.
Leading a team of 350 finance professionals, the City Treasurer/Director of Finance provides leadership and direction for overall financial administration. With the support and direction of the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) you will inspire collaboration and competence on a broad range of financial issues, and will support the development of financial strategies, policies, and programs that meet The City’s financial objectives on behalf of the citizens of Calgary. You will be required to liaise with members of City Council, other members of the senior management team, key finance and operations leaders, and external service providers and boards. Primary duties include:
- Represent The City on governing boards of various organizations and functions.
- Ensure that the appropriate financial control policies and procedures are in place to protect City assets, provide fiduciary responsibility, and promote operational efficiency.
- Carry out the responsibilities, as defined by governing standards, legislation and policy.
- Provide leadership and support of corporate projects, including One Calgary, major capital projects and the strategy for Improving Service Value, and maintenance and upgrade of the organizations financial and enterprise systems.
- Inspire staff to perform their best in all situations, both day-to-day work and corporate projects.
- Manage all treasury functions, including but not limited to The City’s investment portfolio, innovative financing, and cash management, banking relationships, and maintaining working capital.
- Manage the provision of strategic financial support and guidance through overseeing the portfolio finance managers of all departments and business units across the City.
- Manage all tax and regulatory functions, Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) audits, and support the Gas Power and Telecommunication committee of Council.
- Lead the City’s response to changes in financial regulations to comply with the CICA (Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants) and PSAS (Public Sector Accounting Standards).
- Manage all receivables, payables, property, business, and other tax billings and collections.
- Manage corporate budget and debt functions, corporate cost and revenue programs, all third-party grants, and corporate economic activities.
- A degree in Finance, Accounting, or a closely related field accompanied by a professional accounting designation.
- At least 10 years of progressive management experience including both operational and corporate financial guidance and leadership.
- A proven track-record of integrating systems, people, and business practices in large complex organizations.
- The successful candidate will be an ambassador, advocate, and exemplify The City’s 4 Cs of Culture: Character, Competence, Commitment, and Collaboration.
- You have demonstrated strategic leadership and management abilities along with the ability to build and maintain professional relationships that strengthen the workplace.
- Proven political acumen, a proactive approach to issue resolution, and a commitment to excellence and innovation.
- Equivalent combinations of experience and education may be considered.
- Successful applicants must provide proof of qualifications.
Position Type: Permanent
Compensation: $155,500 – 240,000 per annum
Hours of work: Standard 35 hour work week
|Business Unit: Finance|
Location: 800 Macleod Trail SE
Days of Work: This position typically works a 5 day work week
earning 1 day off in a 3 week cycle.
Apply By: January 7, 2020
Job ID #: 302664
We value diversity of expertise, talent and opinion which creates an innovative and collaborative environment. We are committed to a respectful and inclusive workplace and welcome applications from all qualified individuals.
- Offered Salary$150,000+
- Career LevelOfficer
- Experience10 Years +
- SECTORMunicipal Government
- QualificationBachelor Degree
- Application Closing Time07.01.2020 02:04