We are seeking a collaborative and strategic leader who is passionate about participating on The City of Calgary’s executive leadership team, and leading the delivery of effective and efficient legal counsel and advocacy and insurance and claims services.
Under the direction of the City Solicitor and General Counsel, the 135 plus members (including 61 lawyers) of the Law business unit provide legal counsel and advocacy, and insurance and claims services to the Mayor and Council and the corporation of The City of Calgary. These services are instrumental in assisting in the achievement of Council and corporate priorities and in identifying and addressing legal, business, reputational, and financial risk for the corporation of The City of Calgary.
The City Solicitor and General Counsel reports directly to the City Manager and serves as a member of The City’s most senior executive leadership team, the Administrative Leadership Team, and as a member of The City’s Senior Management and Corporate Management Teams.
The City Solicitor and General Counsel is responsible for contributing to the executive leadership of the corporation, establishing and ensuring the execution of the strategic direction for Law and ensuring the effective and efficient delivery of legal counsel and advocacy, and insurance and claims services through leading the business unit. Other primary responsibilities include:
- Ensure that Law is a desirable, safe, respectful and productive workplace with opportunities for development for employees.
- Provide legal advice and counsel at all Council meetings and various Council Committee meetings.
- Implement the recommendations of Law’s zero based review, leading to more modern, innovative, effective, and efficient service delivery.
- Contribute to corporate strategy and decisions, as a member of the Corporation’s most senior administrative body.
- Provide senior leadership guidance toward strategy for actions, claims or other proceedings, including toward settlements where appropriate within authorized limits.
- Manage a budget of $48 million, ensuring it is allocated toward the most effective and efficient delivery of Law business unit’s services.
- Contribute to corporate strategies and outcomes by serving on various corporate and cross-corporate steering and oversight committees and teams.
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the City Manager.
Applicants must possess a Bachelor of Law/Juris Doctor degree, have 15 years experience practicing law and be, or be capable of becoming, a member in good standing of the Law Society of Alberta. Experience in and/or a working knowledge of municipal, property, planning and development, procurement, administrative law, litigation, and/or general corporate commercial law would all be considered assets. A comprehensive working knowledge of the Alberta Municipal Government Act or similar legislation would also be an asset.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate significant leadership and management experience as this is fundamental to success in this executive leadership role in a large organization dealing with complex matters. Experience and success in creating a strategic vision and direction for a diverse organization and leading in a service-based environment is a strong asset. Applicants will ideally have demonstrated success in building and leading strong teams, leading and managing change, building organizational talent, developing and using metrics to improve organizational performance, deploying resources to achieve effective and efficient outcomes, and establishing and maintaining strong and positive working relationships with colleagues, clients, stakeholders, and/or elected officials. Demonstrated success working in a fast paced and ever changing environment is also required.
Business Unit: Law
Position Type: Permanent
Location: 800 Macleod Trail SE
Compensation: $155,500 – 240,000 per annum
Apply By: October 18, 2019
Job ID #: 30248
- Offered Salary$150,000+
- Career LevelExecutive
- Experience10 Years +
- SECTORMunicipal Government
- QualificationBachelor Degree
- Application Closing Time18.10.2019 23:05
Related Jobs (6)
- Manager, Corporate Records and Archival Services – Kawartha Lakes on October 7, 2019 Full Time