Principal policy advisor to Council. Responsible for the supervision, coordination, management and personnel of all municipal operations, and will oversee the implementation of policies and directives throughout all municipal departments.
Performs the statutory duties of Deputy Clerk as set out in the Municipal Act.
Assisting the Clerk in performing the statutory duties of the clerk as set out in the Municipal Act and other Acts of the Legislature.
Major Duties and Responsibilities – Deputy Clerk
- Assist the Clerk in overseeing the preparation and distribution of agendas, background material, staff reports and other relevant information;
- Attending in the absence of the Clerk at Council and Committee /Board meetings to record resolutions and proceedings;
- Assists in researching topics, preparing reports and making recommendations to Council;
- Assists in providing advice to Council on procedural matters;
- Assists in summoning special meetings of Council and its committees when required;
- Interprets and administers Council’s decisions;
- Drafts By-laws, resolutions and minutes for Council consideration;
- Interprets the By-laws, resolutions and policies. Liaises with Council members, Committee and Board Chairs, and members of the public to communicate factual information and resolve problems;
- Prepares public notifications and press releases on behalf of Council and Committees/Boards;
- Communicates information on municipal programs, policies and procedures and by-laws to the public and other agencies;
- Provides memorandums to staff making them aware of Council decisions;
- Responsible for assisting with all correspondence of the municipality;
- Assist with land use planning and interpretation of the Municipal Zoning By-law;
- Assists in reviewing all lawyer’s letters for zoning, building and fire compliance;
- Assists with consulting with By-Law Enforcement Officer concerning property standards such as by-law compliance and notices to comply and all matters pertaining to compliance of any other by-laws of the municipality;
- Acts as Corporate Signing Officer;
- Acts as Lottery Licensing Officer for the municipality;
- Acts as Commissioner of Oaths and Affidavits;
- Acts as Deputy Returning Officer for municipal and school board elections and referenda and carries out the statutory duties as set out in the Municipal Act and the Municipal Elections Act;
- Acts as Deputy Division Registrar for births and deaths;
- Member of the Control Group for the Emergency Plan;
- Performs other tasks as assigned by the Clerk that relates to this position.
- Education: Completion of post-secondary Diploma or Degree in Public Administration or Business or related field or equivalent experience.
- MAP, AMCT, CMO or other similar designations would be considered an asset
- Experience: Minimum three years’ administrative experience preferable in a municipal clerk department.
- Experience to assist in coordinating an Municipal Election would be an asset
- Other: Excellent interpersonal and communication (oral and written) skills and ability to relate to elected officials, peers, and the public;
- A sound working knowledge of Municipal level parliamentary practices and general statutes governing municipal operations in Ontario;
- Experience in a computerized environment and a working knowledge of Word, Excel, Simply Accounting, Municipal Software programs and the Internet;
- Valid Ontario Driver’s License in good standing and a personal vehicle for use on the job.
- Availability to work evenings for attendance at Council and committee meetings
- Working knowledge of Corporate Records Management
- Demonstrated tack and discretion in handling confidential matters
While assisting the Clerk in providing advice to Council, this position is required to exercise sound judgement in gathering information and implementing the Clerk’s directions and Council decisions.
Visual and aural concentration is required on a continuous basis. The job demands effort in the areas of dealing with the public, several levels of government and the press. Judgment, decision making and discretion are required on a constant basis whether it be supervising, directing, monitoring and evaluating staff or optimizing the financial well being of the Corporation through innovative management and strategic leadership. It is also required to stay current on statutory and regulatory changes involving municipal government and completing necessary training to deal with the ongoing demands being placed on municipalities.
Majority of work is performed in an office environment and requires very slight physical effort.
The position requires the operation of a computer, facsimile machine, photocopier, calculator and telephone.
Accountability & Consequences of Actions:
Many actions could result in major loss of time or resources, or cause severe embarrassment within the organization and have serious impact on its public image.
Safety of Others:
The CAO has overall responsibility for the effective management of the Municipality’s Health and Safety Program.
The Clerk Administrator directly supervises the heads of all departments. Clerk directly supervises the deputy clerk.
There are frequent contacts with the general public, ministry officials, elected officials and fellow employees.
Persuasive diplomacy is required in explaining and/or exchanging data or information and in negotiating matters with others.
Office hours are 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. from Monday to Friday equalling a 35 hour week.
Office work is performed in an office environment with adequately controlled atmosphere, temperature, lighting, etc.
There will be frequent exposure to interruptions from outside sources.
It may be necessary to work extra time, with pay, evenings and weekends during peak work periods and to attend conferences and seminars.
It will be necessary to attend Committee/Board and/or Council meetings outside work hours.
- Offered SalaryTBD
- Career LevelSpecialist
- Experience3 Years +
- SECTORMunicipal Government
- Application Closing Time13.03.2020 11:25
Related Jobs (1)
- Program Manager, Customer Service and Customer Experienceon April 16, 2021Contract