Reporting to the General Manager of Corporate Services/City Treasurer, the City Clerk/Director of Clerk Services is responsible for managing the daily departmental operations of the City Clerk’s Department and for the direction, organization, coordination, facilitation and administration of the City’s legislative functions including Council and Committee support services; Licensing and Administration services; Corporate Records and Freedom of Information services; Vital Statistics; Animal Control services; and, Insurance and Risk Management services. Committed to professionalism and teamwork, the City Clerk/Director of Clerk Services will fulfill various essential statutory and administrative roles including, but not limited to, conducting elections within the municipality; preparing agendas and minutes by recording all resolutions, decisions and other proceedings of the Council; providing procedural advice to Council; ensuring the safekeeping of corporate records; and, performing such other duties as are assigned by the municipality.
- Must be able to demonstrate a level of expertise related to the duties described herein, acquired through the successful completion of a four (4) year university degree in Public Administration, Political Science, business administration or closely related field
- Five (5) to seven (7) years of previous experience working as a Clerk in a municipal setting is required
- A thorough understanding of applicable by-laws, Provincial legislation and Regulations that govern the operations of a municipality
- Previous management and/or supervisory experience is required
- AMCTO or CMO designation through the Association of Municipal Managers, Clerks and Treasurers of Ontario is preferred
- Must have a sound working knowledge of parliamentary procedures and effective meeting procedures
- Must demonstrate a thorough knowledge and understanding of general statutes governing meetings of Municipal Councils, local boards, committees, etc., including but not limited to open and closed meeting requirements, voting and codes of conduct under the Municipal Act, 2001, as amended, and requirements under the Municipal Conflict of Interest Act
- Must have a sound working knowledge of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act as it relates to both access to information and the protection of personal privacy and of the Municipal Elections Act, 1996 as it relates to the conduct of municipal elections
- Applicant must have superior oral and written communication skills, organizational skills and research ability
- Applicant must possess effective time management skills with the ability to work in a fast paced, deadline driven environment with a focus on customer service
- Experience in a computerized environment with a high level of proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word , Excel, PowerPoint) and Adobe Acrobat Professional is required
- Experience with meeting management software (eSCRIBE) is an asset
- The ability to interpret municipal by-laws, policies and procedures and to provide advice on same is required
- Applicants must possess an acute sense of confidentiality and judgment and excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to deal diplomatically with all levels of management, staff, elected officials, local boards and the public
- A high level of attention to detail is required in the preparation of municipal by-laws, updates to the City of Brantford Municipal Code, minutes, agendas, reports to Committee and Council, corporate policies and other documents
- Knowledge of the municipal government structure, municipal departments and their functions is an asset
- A valid Ontario Class “G” driver’s license is required
- Applicants may be required to undergo skills assessment testing
SALARY RANGE: $114,369 to $142,961 per annum based on a 35 hour work week plus benefits
To apply on-line, please visit the City of Brantford website at https://brantford.ca and click on Jobs and Volunteering and Current Opportunities.
Closing date for applications: Thursday, November 28, 2019, at 4:30 p.m.
Information gathered relative to this position will only be used for candidate selection.We thank each applicant for taking the time and effort to submit your resume, however, only candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.The City of Brantford is committed to diversity and inclusivity in our employment practices. We promote the independence, dignity, integration, and equality of opportunity with persons with disabilities by ensuring the accessibility of our facilities and services. Accommodations, including alternative formats, are available for all parts of the recruitment and selection process.For more information or to request an accommodation please contact the Human Resources Department at 519-759-4150.
- Offered SalaryN/A
- Career LevelOfficer
- ExperienceLess than 2 years
- SECTORMunicipal Government
- QualificationBachelor Degree
- Application Closing Time28.11.2019 23:43