Nestled on the north shore of the Lake of the Woods, Kenora combines vibrant city life with a rich cultural history in a setting of abundant natural beauty. Located directly east of Winnipeg on the Ontario-Manitoba border, Kenora has a year-round population of 15,000+ that swells to over 30,000 during the summer months and is the district hub for over 50,000 people.
The City of Kenora is dedicated to providing a rich quality of life to both its seasonal and permanent residents. Branded as North America’s Premier Boating Destination, the Lake of the Woods and its 14,522 islands offer year-round recreational enjoyment including fishing, boating, snowmobiling, skating and skiing.
Chief Administrative Officer (CAO)
It’s not often that one gets the opportunity to follow in the footsteps of a strong and respected administrator in a destination community. This opportunity is ripe for one who already has a career in administrative leadership in municipal or another tier of government and is looking either for the next step up as chief administrator, to move to a bigger portfolio, or to do what they do best all-the-while enjoying panoramic views of the lake, the islands and the deciduous forest.
While CAO job descriptions are relatively homogenous, what distinguishes this City is that they are:
- Fiscally strong and sound;
- Built on team, alliances & collaboration;
- Decisive, and don’t shy away from difficult issues;
- Respected by their Single Tier colleagues and the Ministry;
- Stable and respectful in their governance & leadership;
- Progressive in streamlining business/commercial services;
- Citizen-centric in their customer service delivery;
- Attentive to infrastructure renewal;
- Attuned to the environment and sustainable growth; and
- Wrapping up their 5-year vision and strategic plan (2015-2020), thereby offering a new CAO the chance to contribute and own the new one.
You’re most likely a career civil servant, in a mid to senior administrator role who welcomes the challenge of balancing urban-like expectations in a pseudo-urban setting while honouring the social fabric woven of northern Indigenous communities, seasonal destination tourists and permanent residents. This is not your first “trip to the rodeo” leading a multifarious organization within a public service environment. You know how to conceptualize the nature and evolution of advancement in an organization, are adept at bringing parties together to rally around the collective, and are accustomed to delivering vital public services, programs and projects.
This role is ultimately accountable for a combined capital & operating budget of $55M and a City team of 250 staff. We are looking for some administrative credentials & experience with minimum qualifications being:
- A degree in Public Administration, Political Science, or Business/Commerce; and
- A municipal certification/designation or willingness to pursue; and
- Several years senior level experience in the public sector including leading large teams; or
- Equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Offered SalaryTBD
- Career LevelExecutive
- Experience5 Years +
- SECTORMunicipal Government
- QualificationAssociate Degree
- Application Closing Time23.05.2020 03:15