Join our team powered by innovation and shared values where explorers turn obstacles into opportunities and individual challenges into shared solutions. You will discover a lifestyle that provides endless opportunity for exploration at work and after. Your adventure with Bruce County starts here.
Bruce County is located in mid-western Ontario and is home to the Bruce Trail and the Bruce Peninsula National Park, one of the largest protected areas in southern Ontario and the core of UNESCO’s Niagara Escarpment World Biosphere Reserve. The second largest nuclear complex in the world, Bruce Nuclear Generating Station is located on the Lake Huron Shoreline between the towns of Kincardine and Saugeen Shores, providing Bruce County with a large, stable employer and significant economic spin-off benefits throughout the region. The County is a destination for vacationing, cottaging, hiking and eco-tourism due to its picturesque, rural landscape, dramatic limestone cliffs, sandy beaches, rolling farmland and miles of Lake Huron and Georgian Bay shoreline. Governed by an eight member Council made up of the Mayors of eight lower-tier municipalities, the County delivers a range of services to 66,000 residents, including land use planning, highway and bridge maintenance, social housing, human services, long term care, library, museum services and paramedic services.
Reporting to the Warden and Council, the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) is the most senior staff position within the County. The incumbent is responsible for providing vision and leadership to members of the senior management team and for the administration and coordination of the delivery of services to the County’s residents and businesses in a manner that will ensure the sustainable utilization of human, financial and physical resources of the county. The position oversees all County operations.
The CAO is responsible for:
- Directing the administrative affairs of the Corporation including the implementation and management of all programs and services that have been approved by Council according to Council’s By-Laws and resolutions.
- Coordinating policy advice that is prepared by County staff, external agencies and consultants to ensure clear comprehensive information and alternatives on which to make informed policy decisions.
- Attending Council and Committee Meetings to assist in priority deliberations as they set and maintain the overall strategic vision.
- Inspiring others to strive for excellence, through motivation, mentoring, and leading with respect, honesty and fairness. As a visionary leader you will have direct authority over the senior management team and indirect authority over approximately 750 permanent, seasonal and casual employees.
- Overseeing the execution of annual business plans approved by council. Through established targets and standards of performance the CAO will ensure successful service delivery, including monitoring, evaluating and enhancing the delivery of services provided to our clients, residents, external partners and stakeholders.
- Developing creative and innovative solutions to lead the corporation through federal, provincial legislation and regulations, as well as economic factors impacting the corporation.
- Nurturing relationships with all levels of government, external partnerships, key stakeholders, council and staff. As an adept listener and relationship builder open and respectful actions are highly regarded as core strengths.
- Advising senior managers on actively engaging our community and stakeholders as a key focus area to manage the economic and social growth throughout our community.
- Leading team-building initiatives to shape the organizations vision and strategy.
The CAO candidate will demonstrate:
- A thorough understanding of required government legislation.
- The ability to develop and maintain positive and productive working relationships with Warden and Council.
- The ability to manage cross-departmental and cross-disciplinary resource allocation.
- Strong communication skills including active listening, verbal and written, ensuring clarity and concise language. Communication must be open minded and respectful yet spoken with confidence.
- A clear understanding of the issues faced by the organization and the industry.
- The ability to shape the municipal corporation’s future through strong leadership and management ability.
- Sound financial knowledge with budget preparation and management experience.
- The ability to develop and instill a corporate culture of teamwork, achievement and respect.
- The ability to delegate, set expectations and monitor progress of all direct reports.
- Strong analytical, strategic thinking, planning, prioritization and execution skills.
- University degree in a relevant professional discipline accompanied by a post graduate studies in Business and/or Public Administration.
- Ten years of previous senior management experience, ideally in a similar sized municipal setting. Upper tier municipal experience will be considered an asset.
This position works out of the County Administration office located in Walkerton, Ontario.
Interested applicants can access the entire job posting through our Career Connector at www.brucecounty.on.ca, and then apply online, following the outlined process. Please note that although a resume and cover letter are required, this does not eliminate the need to complete the Applicant Profile, as resumes are screened electronically. Deadline for applications is Friday, December 20, 2019.
We thank all applicants in advance but regret that only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Personal information contained in applications will be used for recruitment purposes and collected as per the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, R.S.O. 1990, Chapter M.56
The Corporation of the County of Bruce is an equal opportunity employer committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process. If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise Human Resources if you require accommodation.
- Offered SalaryN/A
- Career LevelOfficer
- Experience10 Years +
- SECTORMunicipal Government
- QualificationBachelor Degree
- Application Closing Time20.12.2019 15:33