The Township of Bonfield is a rural municipality, population 2160, in Nipissing District located 15 minutes east of North Bay on Highway 17. It is a community, surrounded by numerous lakes ,which promotes an active outdoor lifestyle. Our close proximity to the City of North Bay means that our residents enjoy the best of a peaceful rural environment with all of the desired urban amenities just a short drive away.
Council is seeking a Chief Administrative Officer to lead the senior management team, to liaise with other organizations with an interest in Township issues, and to be the key advisor to Council on all matters of policy and strategy.
The Chief Administrative Officer (CAO), provides expert professional advice to council and ensures the proper implementation of council decisions. They are the link between the council and staff. The CAO is accountable for the overall development, management and execution of the Township’s budget and strategic priorities, ensuring organizational effectiveness and responsiveness to Council. This position will fulfill the requirements of Clerk/Treasurer responsibilities as outlined in the Municipal Act of Ontario (2001) and oversee the financial management of the township that includes financial reporting, long-term strategy and leading department heads.
The CAO/CFO shall be responsible for:
- exercising general control and management of the affairs of the Township for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective operation in accordance with The Municipal Act of Ontario
- carrying out all such responsibilities as have previously been assigned or delegated, and as may be assigned or delegated, to the CAO/CFO by Council.
- providing organizational leadership to staff and responsibility for the efficient and effective delivery of services.
- assigning duties and responsibilities to Department Heads/Managers.
- serving as the head of the administrative and operational aspects of the government of the Township.
- providing effective advice and support to the Mayor and Council in developing and implementing the policies, plans and programs of the Township.
- managing the fiscal, physical and human resources of the Township, in accordance to all applicable legislation.
- carrying out such duties as may be delegated by the Mayor or council in respect of the organizational structure of the Township; and carrying out such additional duties as may be assigned from time to time.
- the overall communications, customer service, financial, IT, HR operations, major projects and other agencies/functions as assigned by Council.
- the overall planning, coordination, and control of all municipal operations in accordance with the objectives, policies and plans approved by Council and the appropriate provisions of the Municipal Act regarding roles and responsibilities of a municipal CAO.
- acting as the Chief Purchasing Agent of the Township.
- overseeing preparations of Council agendas, reports, and minutes.
- Ensuring enforcement of bylaws and policies as necessary.
- Ensuring the prompt and proper handling of requests, inquiries, and complaints by Township residents.
- Maintaining effective relationships with Council, external agencies, other District municipalities, government agencies, legal counsel, consultants, contractors, and the community.
- Ensure workplace health & safety in accordance to legislation.
- Undertake performance management reviews for direct reports at least annually (or more often as required).
Finance Manager & Treasurer Responsibilities
- Prepare annual budget; control expenditures, optimize various revenue sources and ensure cost effective operations are implemented and maximized.
- Support the development of long-term organizational plans based on financial reports and analysis.
- Lead the capital budgeting process and capital asset accounting.
- Collect, analyze, and review financial information including reporting on variances.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of relevant federal, provincial and municipal regulations and by-laws.
- Knowledge of financial forecasting, accounting principles and financial data analysis.
- Ability to establish strategic priorities and effectively lead a strategic plan.
- Demonstrated skills and ability to lead people and projects.
- Skills in financial planning and budgeting.
- Excellent public relations skills and abilities.
- Sound judgement and decision-making skills.
- Demonstrated ability to deal with a variety of stakeholders, including internal staff, Council and the public.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Strong financial acumen and experience in finance, including financial report preparation, analysis, budgeting, and audits.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Municipalities Act, applicable legislation, current standards, effective marketing, and policy formation.
- Strong management, analytical and interpersonal skills with the ability to use tact, diplomacy, and mature judgment
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in a discipline related to municipal service delivery and/or in a relevant field of study such as finance, accounting, or business administration with a minimum of ten years of senior administrative experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Graduate training in leadership; public or business administration is considered an asset.
The Township of Bonfield offers a competitive salary (under review), commensurate with experience, and comprehensive benefits package.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates are invited to submit a cover letter and resume by email, in confidence, no later than 12 noon on February 3, 2023, quoting “Chief Administrative Officer”, to the attention of: Narry Paquette, Mayor at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Township of Bonfield is an equal opportunity employer. Accessibility accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
We thank all applicants for their interest and only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted. Information is collected solely for the purpose of job selection under the provisions of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
- Offered SalaryTBD
- Career LevelExecutive
- Experience10 Years +
- SECTORMunicipal Government
- QualificationBachelor Degree
- Application Closing Time03.02.2023 12:00