The Town of Lakeshore is a beautiful Municipality situated in southern Ontario along Lake St. Clair. The Town has a population of over 37,000 and is one of the fastest growing municipalities in Ontario. The Town of Lakeshore enjoys a temperate climate year round with more than 200 growing days. Lakeshore’s affordable lakefront community enjoys over 35 km of waterfront, low taxes, a high quality of life and abundant recreational opportunities with many family friendly parks, recreational programs, a multi-use recreation centre, the Atlas Tube Centre including pools, 3 ice pads, gyms, and much more.
Purpose of Position:
Reporting to the Manager of Building Services/Chief Building Official, the Building Inspector is responsible for enforcement of the Ontario Building Code and various municipal by-laws including the comprehensive zoning by-law.
- College Diploma in Civil Engineering or related field
- Must be current with the current Ministry Certifications especially in Part 3, Part 8 and Part 9 of the most current Ontario Building Code
- Over 4 and up to 5 years’ experience in a municipal environment
- Or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Education requirements
- Clear police clearance required
- Thorough knowledge of the most current Ontario Building Code, plumbing, construction and other related provincial legislation, including thorough knowledge of Division B, part 9 (Residential), Division B, part 3 (Non-Residential), and Division B part 8 (Septic).
- Thorough knowledge of the Town’s zoning by-law.
- Thorough knowledge of other related municipal by-laws.
- Valid Ontario Class G driver’s license.
- General knowledge of the planning process.
- Receive building and plumbing permit applications, review and check plans and issue permits as required;
- Receive applications for permits under various municipal by-laws;
- Where required, review applications not in compliance with application regulations and codes with applicants or agents advising on areas of non-conformity;
- Charge appropriate building permit fees in accordance with the Town’s Tariff & Fees By-law and collect same at permit issuance.
- Provide general public on request with information and regulations related to building, plumbing and municipal by-laws;
- Conduct on site building and plumbing inspections of all work in progress in the municipality ensuring that contractors, owners and agents are in compliance with the appropriate by-laws, provincial acts and codes;
- Note job conditions, infractions of regulations and directs contractors, owners and agents to comply. In the event of non-compliance, issues Orders to Comply. Participates in the prosecution of by-law and code violations;
- Investigate complaints regarding by-laws, building and plumbing codes and zoning;
- Carry out inspections relating to all by-laws and undertakes the necessary steps and procedures set out in the act and by-law to ensure compliance with such by-law.
- Perform other related duties.
Decision Making and Judgement:
- Work is performed under the general direction of the Chief Building Official. Reference is available to the Ontario Buildings Code and all Municipal by-laws.
- Refers noncompliance to Chief Building Official
Physical Skill and Effort
- No special physical skills required.
- Sitting, standing, bending, couching, some reaching above shoulder
- Daily contact with office staff.
- Daily contact with contractors, homeowners and or their agents
- Works within an office environment within the hours of 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (35 hours per week).
- Visits outside constructions sites on a daily basis.
- Driving around the municipality
Control over Work Schedule
- Occasionally requested to work beyond normal office hours subject to the employee’s consent in order to meet deadlines.
This position is being posted under the provisions of the Collective Agreement between C.U.P.E. Local 702.4 and the Town of Lakeshore. The 2019 rate for this position is $34.92 to $37.75/hr. Qualified applicants interested in the position are to visit our website at https://careers.lakeshore.ca to view the full job description of the position and to submit your application. The deadline to apply is June 1, 2020 at 12:00 pm.
While we appreciate all applications, we acknowledge only those applicants invited for an interview. Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and will only be used for the purpose of determining eligibility for this competition. The Town of Lakeshore is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations under the requirements of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) will be provided upon request.
- Offered SalaryTBD
- Career LevelEntry Level
- Experience4 Years +
- SECTORMunicipal Government
- Application Closing Time01.06.2020 23:25