Reporting to the Manager, Budgets and Procurement, the Budget Specialist will provide guidance, training and coordination to City departments on the Operating and Rate budget processes and analyze budget utilization to identify both opportunities and risks for the City.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure accurate and timely completion of budget documents and assist with Operating and Rate budget preparation, guidelines, instructions and associated reporting requirements.
- Provide assistance and research into the development of the budget guidance calculations, guidelines and instruction packages.
- Coordinate with departments, client groups and program/project managers to provide training and direction in preparing budgets and participating as part of the budget process; including salary planning, budget development and compliance review.
- Assist with long range fiscal strategies and multi-year budget forecasting.
- Assist with the budget submission process including preparing budget reports, presentations, and required supplementary documents.
- Staff resource dedicated to the Budget Standing Committee of City Council.
- Ensure that all necessary budget notices and budgets, tax rate reports and related budget items are posted to the City’s website in adherence with the Municipal Act.
- Ensure adherence to approved budgets and provide alternative solutions when emergencies arise.
- Perform financial analysis; interpret and analyze information to identify issues, opportunities and provide recommendations to improve outcomes.
- Assist in the preparation of quarterly and monthly financial statements and year end closing entries.
- Maintain and update General Ledger structure (Account Trees) and Salary Plan (staffing changes) in systems to ensure they are up-to-date and accurate.
- Review budget variances monthly and quarterly and address issues identified with departments.
- Provide support, data gathering and analysis for special projects and initiatives.
- Recommend on-going process improvements to ensure data integrity.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- University degree in accounting, finance, business or a related field of study.
- Minimum three (3) years accounting/budget experience, preferably within the Ontario Municipal financial context with emphasis on financial reporting, analysis of budgets, variance tracking and related financial analyst experience.
- An Accounting designation of CPA, CA, CGA or CMA preferred.
- Completion of the Municipal Finance and Accounting Program through AMCTO preferred.
- Knowledge of external regulations, such as the Municipal Act, the Development Charges Act, the CICA/PSAB Handbook, and all other regulations impacting the accounting and financial reporting of Ontario municipalities.
- Strong working knowledge of budgetary accounting and reporting processes necessary to develop efficient and effective systems and procedures.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work in fast-paced working environment with often-changing priorities.
- Ability to work and act independently and in a team environment, as well as manage multiple assignments and operate within tight time restrictions.
- Strong communication skills including the ability to deal effectively with all staff.
- Highly motivated team player with an in depth understanding of business operations, processes and internal controls.
- Advanced proficiency in MS Excel and MS PowerPoint as well as a willingness and ability to learn and apply new technology as it relates to financial software and systems.
Applications will be accepted online at www.st.catharines.ca/jobs. Please reference the recruitment number 2020-80 in your cover letter. Applications received any other way will not be accepted.
- Offered Salary$50,000+
- Career LevelSpecialist
- Experience3 Years +
- SECTORMunicipal Government
- QualificationAssociate Degree
- Application Closing Time27.03.2020 21:05