The Town of Caledon is a dynamic municipality that successfully balances urban, rural and agricultural communities. Our energetic staff are guided by our core values that create an environment for continuous improvement and customer service excellence.
In addition to offering exciting career opportunities, the Town also provides a competitive and comprehensive total rewards package. Come see how you can make a difference.
Reporting directly to the Deputy Town Solicitor, Legal Services, this role is responsible to support the Town’s proactive enforcement of illegal land uses in the Town of Caledon. This position will assist Municipal Law Enforcement and other Town departments by providing expert advice in the conduct of proactive investigations into illegal land uses as part of the Proactive Enforcement Task Force. As the Assistant Town Solicitor, Enforcement Task Force, you will perform the following duties, including but not limited to:
Providing competent and timely legal services working in cooperation with staff in legal services and Town Divisions as a municipal legal counsel to the Corporation by:
- Drafting and interpretation of by-laws
- Providing assessment of new or existing legislation, and determining the anticipated effects on Town operations
- Preparation of reports to senior leaders and Council
- Attendance at Council and Committee meetings as required
Representing the Town before Courts and Tribunals; particularly in support of the Proactive Enforcement Task Force, which includes:
- Providing advice verbally and in writing to senior staff with respect to potential actions the Town may become involved in as either plaintiff or respondent, including the assessment of likely outcomes
- Coordinate with other members of the Proactive Enforcement Task Force to bring prosecutions and civil litigation including seeking injunction and contempt citations for large scale operations
- drafting of all required materials including pleadings, settlement agreements, and mediation/settlement briefs
- Negotiating with opposing counsel and self-represented litigants
- Representing the Town before Courts, Boards and Tribunals
Complex prosecutions and prosecution appeals, including:
- Providing advice verbally and in writing to enforcement staff with respect to the appropriate course of action in a prosecution, and assessment of the likelihood of success
- Preparation of supporting tools including short form wordings, conflict matters, master court plans, and advising on best practice approach to resolutions/motions
- Potential for repeated prosecutions against the same party until compliance is achieved
The Ideal Candidate
We are seeking a passionate professional with a common law degree from a recognized Canadian University or received a certificate of qualification from the national committee on accreditation of the Federation of Law Societies of Canada. Membership, or eligibility for membership, with the Law Society of Ontario as a Lawyer. Our ideal candidate has minimum 3 years related experience, preferably with prosecution of land-related matters and a minimum 1 year of demonstrated leadership experience and/or supervisory skills.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated knowledge and experience of litigation and municipal law. We are seeking an individual with superior interpersonal skills, a demonstrated ability to prepare and successfully negotiate resolutions and solid arguments, and excellent ability to exercise significant discretion and sensitivity.
The successful candidate for Assistant Town Solicitor, Enforcement Task Force will be required to work a flexible schedule, including in the office, remotely and after hours (as required).
This position offers a salary range of $119,932.21 – $146,976.86.
Satisfactory passing of a criminal record check, and proof of qualifications will be required of any successful candidate(s) for this position.
New employees who commence employment on or after November 15, 2021 are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, as a condition of employment. Being fully vaccinated is determined as the status of having received the full series of approved vaccines (both doses of a two dose vaccine series, one dose of a single dose vaccine series) and any additional doses required and approved by Health Canada and having satisfied the full post vaccination period required to ensure vaccination efficacy. The Town of Caledon reserves the right to request proof of vaccination at any time. Acceptable proof includes an Ontario Ministry of Health COVID-19 vaccine receipt which you can obtain through the Provincial portal https://covid19.ontariohealth.ca/, or other government-issued vaccine passport or certification. The requirement to be fully vaccinated is subject to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
The Town is committed to diversity and inclusivity in employment and welcomes applications from qualified individuals of diverse backgrounds. The Town is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to an inclusive and barrier-free workplace. If your application requires accommodation, please contact People Services at (905) 584-2272 Ext. 4738.
How To Apply
To learn more about employment with the Town of Caledon and to apply for this exciting and challenging opportunity, visit: www.caledon.ca/careers
- Offered Salary$100,000+
- Career LevelSpecialist
- Experience3 Years +
- SECTORMunicipal Government
- QualificationBachelor Degree
- Application Closing Time28.08.2022 16:00
Related Jobs (1)
- Assistant Town Solicitor, Litigation and Administrative Law on August 5, 2022 Full Time